ppep

Installing shared application with multiple installers

Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:32 pm

Hello,

I have a similar scenario to

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35393&p=120658#p98615

but I’m wondering if there is a way to handle this with msi files instead.

My situation is this: we have a Shared Service product which has its own msi. It can be installed in the following ways:

1. Standalone installation
2. Installed with our applications A, B or C
3. Note that applications A, B & C are allowed to be installed on the same PC using the same installation of the Shared Service in the same location.

What we need is for the Shared Service to be uninstalled when the last application (A, B or C) that is using it is uninstalled. Prior to using Advanced Installer, I believe we accomplished this with a merge module and Shared Dll counts for the files in Shared Service.

However, now that we are converting all of our applications to use Advanced Installer I’d like to know how to accomplish this. We have the Professional licenses so we are not able to create Merge Modules.

Our approach so far was to include the Shared Service msi as a prerequisite in the installers for applications A, B & C. We have to use a custom action to uninstall the Shared Service when we uninstall the applications, but this does not allow us to leave the Shared Service when another application that uses it is still installed.

What can we do to work through this problem?

Thank you,

Peter
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
Return to “Building Installers”