Slayer

Automatic / Manual install

Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:03 pm

Hi I have created an installer that does not need user input, the APPDIR is determined by a .VBS script and no user input is required.

Now I have an edge case where a customer is using symbolic links and the filepath is exceeding 255 characters.

What I would like to do is make an installer where there are 2 choices, Automatic and Manual. Manual file path could be via the FolderDlg?

I don't really need the Typical/Custom/Full type of install as it doesn't really apply here. Tying to figure out how to make this work? What is the best way forward?

Catalin

Re: Automatic / Manual install

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:16 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,
Manual file path could be via the FolderDlg?
If you want the user to manually select the installation path, then the answer is yes - you can use the predefined "FolderDlg" dialog.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Slayer

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:33 pm

Hi again. I still haven't sorted this out. Is there way to have the installer have a installation choice: A or B , if the user selects A then B will be unavailable and vice versa.

In my case: If user selects A ( automatic install ) my script runs and detects the install path and installs it there via APPATH . B (manual install) a file dialogue opens and user picks location to extract.

I don't see a way to do this or a way to disable dialogues on the fly (I'm using the professional version)

Catalin

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:16 pm

Hello,
if the user selects A then B will be unavailable and vice versa
This would be available by using a "RadioButtonGroup" control.

However, this would imply using the "Dialog Editor" feature, which is available starting from our Enterprise suite.
I don't see a way to do this or a way to disable dialogues on the fly (I'm using the professional version)
If by disabling you mean hiding a dialog during the installation, this is also available in the "Dialog Editor" feature by right clicking on the dialog --> "Show only if..." and setting a condition for that dialog.

More infromation about this can be found in our "How to conditionally install a prerequisite based on the user selection?" article.

Best regards,
Catalin

Slayer

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:44 pm

Thank you for the reply. I came to the same conclusion that the Enterprise version would be required.

Catalin

Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:21 pm

You are always welcome!

Please let me know if there is anything else you would require assistance with.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”