cli-automater

Using PowerShell to build updater

Sun May 16, 2021 8:03 pm

I have an updater and I'd like to automate building a new updates file using powershell with the COM interface. I can't seem to find any commands to do this.

I'd like to point to a new installer exe, have it update the MD5, SHA, version, and also the Main URL for the EXE download. Note that I can't even seem to automate the build process with powershell via COM, as I can with a normal installer build.

My installer build PowerShell code looks like the following:
$Version = "1.0.57"
Write-Output "Building installer"
$AdvInstaller = New-Object -ComObject Advancedinstaller
$AIProjectSource = Join-Path -Path (Get-Location) -ChildPath "installer.aip"
$projectInstance64 = $AdvInstaller.LoadProject($AIProjectSource)
$projectInstance64.ProductDetails.Version = $Version
$projectInstance64.Rebuild()
Write-Output "Installer Build complete"

Now, I need to automate the updates txt fuke build
2021-05-16_12-00-27.png
2021-05-16_12-00-27.png (313.02KiB)Viewed 43285 times

Catalin

Re: Using PowerShell to build updater

Tue May 18, 2021 8:41 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I have done some tests on my end and so far it looks like we may not have support to create an "Update Configuration" project.

I wrote to our development team to double check this, but most likely we do not yet support this. If that is indeed the case, I will add this on our TODO list of improvements and hopefully this will be added in a future version of Advanced Installer.

The "PowerShell Automation" support is kind of a recent feature which is not yet fully compatible with our command line support. However, we are constantly improving this over the time, mostly with the help of our users - therefore thank you for bringing this to our attention!

If you would like to use our command line support, please note that this is possible with it. For more information, pelase refer to the following articles:

New Update Option

Updates Configuration Commands

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Bogdan

Tue May 25, 2021 11:47 am

Hi,

Bogdan here, the product manager at Advanced Installer.

Can you share with us more details on your automation plans? For example, we have seen users requesting support for Github integration (which we released a few months ago) and we also noticed some of our Azure Devops users have automation plans.

Are you trying do something similar or you simply want to streamline the generation of our updates.txt so and push it to your servers.

Some things that might help us understand better your request:

1) How often do you publish an update?

2) Do you just want to define a new update in the updates config project, or do you also want to automate the release notes generation? (as one our azure devops requested).

3) Would it be ok for you if Advanced Installer generate a new update in your updates config project, the next time it detects you've increased your version in Product Details page? (this would be a sub-feature from a much larger improvement we're analyzing for potential implementation)

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team

Catalin

Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:11 pm

Hello,

This improvement has been added in version 18.6 of Advanced Installer, released on August 25th, 2021.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”