ipollock

Set the product version for an internal DLL

Fri May 21, 2021 4:22 pm

Using Advanced Installer 12.7.2
I'm trying to find a way to set the Product Version for a DLL that exists in one of the folders i will be installing to be the same as the MSI or EXE that
Advanced installer will build.

After installation i should be able to browse to that folder and find the DLL file and see that it has the Product Version.
Currently the Product Version does get written to the executable after build but the internal DLL only shows a 1.0.0.0.

Thanks in advance.

ipollock

Re: Set the product version for an internal DLL

Fri May 21, 2021 5:08 pm

The DLL is an internal project file.
I was thinking, worst case scenarion i would be able to add in some form of custom action.

Catalin

Re: Set the product version for an internal DLL

Fri May 21, 2021 5:51 pm

Hello,

I'm afraid we do not have any support that can help you change the internal version of a .DLL file.

The only support we have is to change the file's version, but only in relation with Windows Installer.

This can be done through the "File Version Tab"
In this dialog, you can specify a file version that will be used during the installation to determine the install and overwrite priority. Note that this version will not affect in any way the file's internal version.
To be fully honest with you, I am not even sure it is possible to change the .DLL version outside of its' build process (e.g. in Visual Studio or any other IDE - where you can set its' Assembly Version, File version, etc.).

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”