AquaComm

Customizing/Skinning the updater.exe program

Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:17 am

Hi,

The updater.exe file is I believe a C++ program and hence I would have difficulty trying to apply a skin to it. If I am mistaken, is there any way it could be ported to .Net and made freely available. I believe "Open Sourced" is the buz word :-)

Alternatively could some help be provided with using the update data downloaded from the web's AI Updater file location allowing us to create our own user interface which subsequently loads and processes the update silently but with some progress reporting etc?

Liviu

Re: Customizing/Skinning the updater.exe program

Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:43 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid it is not possible to customize the updater user interface.

As a workaround for your request, you can use "-nogui" to run the updater without user interface. Now in your application code, you can design your own interface and on buttons/functions call the specific updater silent command.

For example, in the "Check for updates" function of your code, you can call the updater with "/justcheck". This check is silent without UI. This will return a code, 0 if found updates. Based on that code, you can trigger the next step to download the updates.

In this way you can implement your own interface and call the updater with silent commands.

You can check the Updater command line options and return codes in our documentation: Updater

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Building Installers”