dave7802

Wanting to combine multiple installers, is this the right program?

Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Hi

I am having a hard time figuring out what is the right program to do what i want.
We have a install process that is lengthy because it requires you to install multiple installers
Add and change the registry

I was trying to find a way to combine all the installers into one installer to simplify and speed up the process, but i am struggling to see how i can implement it using Advanced Installer.

Programs i am trying to install as a combined installer:

3 x MSI installers, each of these is there own installer.
1 x EXE (A self installing exe (AccessDatabase engine)

3 x Setup.exe that has multiple files in the directory to install from, i.e. dll files and cab files. the setup.exe will not install unless run from the directory where the cab and dll files are present

3 Reg files (Can combine to one)
Fonts
and some folders and files that need creating in the root directory i.e. C:\Folder\

I have had a quick look through and ill be honest i am overwhelmed by the settings / configuration and where to even start
Tried a couple of trial and errors and failed, and attempted to read through some instructions but struggling to find a flow of what to do.

I was using the Installer Project - Enterprise but i have had no luck being able to do registry entry's

The furthest i have been able to get was creating a Installer for all applications, but it basically just copied all the installers and files into a program files folder.

All the EXE are existing source / combined installers.

Catalin

Re: Wanting to combine multiple installers, is this the right program?

Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:55 pm

Hello Dave and welcome to our forums,

What you want to achieve is quite easy.

For that purpose, we can use the predefined support for "Prerequisites". You can find an article which explains how to achieve that here:

Creating Suite Installations

Most likely, what you did was adding the installers into the "Files and Folders" page, which indeed will result in just copying the files on the machine.

Regarding registry entries, adding one in Advanced Installer can be done through the "Registry" page.

Could you please let me know what inconvenience you encountered here, as it is not quite clear for me?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”