rucinski

C++ Redist issues

Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:35 pm

Good morning.

I am trying to build an installer to dump a ton of prerequisite software for an application I am trying to deploy. This would run silently and install all the prereqs I need. Its things like MS Sync Framework 2.1, and a bunch of the Visual C++ Redistributables. I'm having decent luck with it,, but I'm having a strange issue with the C++ portion.

I require the Visual C++ 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2014-2019. However when I add all these in the prerequisite portion it seems to only install the latest Visual C++ that I specify. It installs all other prereqs OK. If I pull lets say all the way back to C++ 2010 it installs that fine, but once I add 2012 it only installs 2012 and so on.

I have tested installing the C++ all separately and they all install OK. But I would prefer to have this all go in one single prereq package for dpeloyment. Am I missing some kind of setting? Under install conditions I have the default selected "always install prereq". So I am really scratching my head here. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

-Drew

rucinski

Re: C++ Redist issues

Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:11 pm

Duh, I just figured it out

MS names all the files no matter what year vcredist_x86.exe. So when I was building the EXE for install with resources inside I'm sure it was just overwriting the package till it got to the last one.

I changed the package to a unique name and now it builds ok (ie vcredist_x8610.exe vcredist_x8612.exe) and installs properly. Hope that helps someone in the future.

Liviu

Re: C++ Redist issues

Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:07 pm

Hi Drew and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for your follow-up on this. I am sure this will be of help for further users facing a same scenario as you.

Please let us know if there is anything else we could help you with and we will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Building Installers”