totti_acmilan17

Sql 2014 silent install

Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:50 am

I set the sql 2014 to be installed silently but the problem is after extraction of sql then it doesn't run installation file of extracted sql file!!!

following is my command line
/x:C:\ExtractionFolder /QS /ACTION=Install /HIDECONSOLE /INSTANCENAME=TEST /FEATURES=SQL,Tools /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" /INDICATEPROGRESS /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /TCPENABLED=1 /NPENABLED=1 /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=BUILTIN\Administrators /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /ASSYSADMINACCOUNTS=BUILTIN\Administrators /AGTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" /SECURITYMODE=SQL /ASCOLLATION=Arabic_CI_AS /SQLCOLLATION=Arabic_CI_AS /SAPWD=pwd123456 /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN=false
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (96.41KiB)Viewed 3003 times

Catalin

Re: Sql 2014 silent install

Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:22 pm

Hello,

This might be related to the prerequisite setup itself, otherwise I don't really see why it wouldn't start after the extraction.

What I would advise here is testing the command line outside of Advanced Installer and see if that works as expected. If not, then the problem is indeed related to the prerequisite setup.

I remember I wrote an article about installing SQL Server silently and everything worked as expected back then:

Install SQL Server 2017 Silently/with BasicUI

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

totti_acmilan17

Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:43 am

But I download the SQL setup file from Microsoft website directly!!!

Catalin

Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:33 am

Hello,

I understand that.

However, if you run that same setup with the command line you provided, does it work (i.e. it launches the setup after extraction)?

Perhaps it is the extracted "setup.exe" you might need to add as a prerequisite (I can not say for sure, though).

Best regards,
Catalin

totti_acmilan17

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:12 am

Is it possible to add extracted sql setup files as prerequisites? so then don't need to extract sql setup in Installation process.
following is extracted sql setup,Can I add it as prerequisites?
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (34.04KiB)Viewed 2966 times

Catalin

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:35 pm

Hello,

Yes, you could try that, e.g.:

- add the "setup.exe" as a prerequisite

- add the rest of the files as "Additional files" for the above prerequisite

However, to be fully honest with you, I would advise against it.

What I would advise is getting a correct command line that works as expected both outside of Advanced Installer (if you try to install it from command line) and in Advanced Installer.

For instance, if you add "SQL Server Express with Tools 2014" as a prerequisite from our predefined list of prerequisites, everything works as expected. The files are extracted and then the install starts. If you then add your command line, it only extracts the files and no longer starts the installation. That is probably due to the command line being incorrect.

After further testing, this might be due to the "/x" (extraction) parameter. I believe this basically tells the executable to only extract and thus the installation does not start.

From what I remember, in newer versions of SQL Server, this was not the case as it worked as expected for me (the "Install SQL Server Silently" article I've linked above).

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”