JasonZhang

Which installation sequence could added files into folder?

Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:09 am

Hi Happy New Year first,

I am baffled by a problem, I have two dlls need added into folder, and there is a CustomAction based on these two dlls.
Now, the dlls could add into folder, but the CustomAction return an error which could not find dll files.

I think this error occurs because of the installation sequence maybe. When run the CustomAction, the dll files haven't been added into floder.

So, In which sequence will add files into folder? And need any settings for CustomAction to ensure it could run correctly?

Liviu

Re: Which installation sequence could added files into folder?

Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:21 am

Hi and Happy New Year to you too,
So, In which sequence will add files into folder?

The "Add Resources --> InstallFiles" standard action installs the files specified in the Files and Folders page. You can find the list with all the standard actions on our Windows Installer Standard Actions article.
I think this error occurs because of the installation sequence maybe. When run the CustomAction, the dll files haven't been added into floder.

A solution for this will be to add your DLLs files as temporary file in the "Files and Folders" page.

Unlike Advanced Installer's regular files or resources, "Temporary Files" are copied on the target machine at the beginning of the installation and are deleted at the end of it, ensuring you have access to them throughout the entire install process.

Temporary Files are copied during the CostFinalize standard action, at the beginning of the setup and removed during the InstallFinalize standard action.

Add your temporary files in the "Files and Folders" page using the "Add Temporary Files" toolbar button.

You can also add your custom actions that call the DLLs files after the "Add resources" action, but I'm not sure if that is what you want to achieve.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Building Installers”