Niel_Pieterse

Creating installer with different checkboxes

Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:32 pm

Hi There,

I am trying to build a installer that will have 4 checkboxes.

I created the dialogs for the installation in the following order:
PrepareGlg
WelcomeDlg

FolderDlg
SQLConnectionDlg
SetupTypeDlg
VerifyReadyDlg
ProgressDlg
ExitDlg

The checkboxes are added on the SetupTypeDlg. It is a MSI Package and I only need to use the First Time Install dialog.

The first checkbox must deploy a DacPac file which will create a new SQL database. If the first checkbox is selected the second, third and fourth checkboxes should not be able to be selected. I added the PowerShell script to the installer that is used to deploy this DacPac as a Custom Actions "Run PowerShell Inline Script" file.

The second checkbox should be able to deploy a SQL Script (the sql information should be used from the SQLServerConnectionDlg dialog). This checkbox should not be able to be selected if the first checkbox is selected. The third and fourth checkbox must be able to be selected with this checkbox. It does not want to deploy the SQL Script.

The third checkbox needs to deploy a .bat file that will deploy ETL's to the SQL Server. This checkbox should not be able to be selected when the first checkbox is selected, it should be able to be checked by itself or if the second checkbox is selected it should deploy after the second checkbox is completed. I added this .bat file to the Custom Actions as a action and it is called LaunchFile. I can't get this file to be deployed.

The fourth checkbox must deploy a stored procedure on the database using a SQL Script (the sql information should be used from the SQLServerConnectionDlg dialog). This checkbox should not be able to be selected if the first checkbox is selected

I created features for each of these checkboxes, I don't think that the features I created for these checkboxes are correct. I added files to them but when I build the installer they do not deploy and I can't select the first checkbox, I removed all conditions from all four checkboxes to make sure that there is nothing holding it back but still I can't get the checkbox to be selected.. If I remove all the checkboxes except the first one it does not deploy the DacPac and I can't select it. If I remove the first checkbox and try to deploy the second checkbox it does not deploy the SQL Script, the same for the deploy of the .bat file and the last SQL Script. So it seems nothing that I added is actually deploying anything and I can't see any logs for more information to troubleshoot these issues.

Can you please help me to what I am supposed to do to get my installer built in this way?

On the UserExitDlg (under the Special Dialogs) it does not open the error log on the Show Log checkbox, can you please assist me to get the log opened in this checkbox?

Lastly on the FatalErrorDlg (under the Special Dialogs) the show Log checkbox is on the dialog but when the package fail it does not show the screen neither open the log file so troubleshooting is a bit difficult, can you also please assist me to get this checkbox working on the FatalErrorDlg.

Please let me know if you require any other information.

Thank you.

Catalin

Re: Creating installer with different checkboxes

Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:53 pm

Hello Niel,

Please note the exact post was made in the "Common Problems" subforum and also a ticket was opened over the email.

Please try not to duplicate the posts like that.

As soon as your ticket will be analyzed, I will follow you up over the email and on the other thread.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”