AuxMax001

Detecting Chrome installation path during MSI execution

Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:34 pm

Hello.

I've been using the Freeware version of the Advanced Installer for a while, but needed to upgrade for more features. So I sprang for the Pro version.

I'm building my first "Professional" MSI. The MSI is simply creating a desktop shortcut, with the proper logo, and the calling Chrome to execute URL.

The problem is the Google Chrome can be installed in either "program files (x86)" or "Program Files". I'm ignoring the user-based installations. The URL must be opened with Chrome, regardless of the user's default browser setting.

So, I've setup a search in custom behavior. I created two User Defined properties to locate the registry entry for the chrome.exe, using the raw data value from the default key:

RESULT_CHROMEPATHEXE:

[~] "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\chrome.exe"

I also have a search for the folder path:

[Path] "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\chrome.exe"

When creating the shortcut, the arguments have the URL, Shortcut target has "RESULT_CHROMEPATHEXE", and the working directory is "RESULT_CHROMEPATH"

When I run the MSI on a separate test system, the shortcut target is pointing to the wrong chrome path (the path is the same as the computer where the MSI was compiled), and the working directory is the application installation path in Program Files, not the Chrome folder path.

Obviously, the search is not running. I've been pouring through the community and the help docs. I'm not finding my mistake.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Catalin

Re: Detecting Chrome installation path during MSI execution

Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:39 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,

This is quite strange, indeed.

Please note that a search is executed when the setup runs, it doesn't have anything to do with the machine where you built the setup.

Most likely, there's some misconfiguration of the search itself.

In order to have a better view about this, could you please forward me the following resources by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com:

- a copy of your .AIP file (the project file that is used to build your setup)

- a download link of the setup

- a verbose log of the installation process

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”