astansbery

How to repackage multi-part/file installer into single MSI for Microsoft Intune

Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:56 pm

I need to find a way to repackage a third part installer (Nuance/Kofax Power PDF) that starts with an MSI buried inside two folders. I first have to open the main application install folder. Then the System64 folder for 64bit install or System32 for 32bit install. Then open the setup.exe file or the .msi installer if you want to use a custom .mst file for setup.
I have already used their tool to create a custom setup to not have to input license keys or application install selections.
Because the installer requires the ability to call/poll the other files from the other folders in the installer folder. I still have to run the .msi installer inside of the System64/32 folder/s to install the application on our user PC's. If I don't do it myself users that can't be bothered to read and comprehend what is on their screen will eventually screw something up.
Essentially repackage everything to a .msi that calls the .msi in the System64 folder.
The only other problem that I ran into. After opening the main application install folder then the System64 folder. Was I couldn't figure out how to keep anyone installing this from having to click Next, Yes, or Install on multiple screens. Anyone installing this has five or six install screens to click through before the install is completed.
Can anyone please help with this?

Catalin

Re: How to repackage multi-part/file installer into single MSI for Microsoft Intune

Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:14 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,
Was I couldn't figure out how to keep anyone installing this from having to click Next, Yes, or Install on multiple screens. Anyone installing this has five or six install screens to click through before the install is completed.
If I understand this correctly, you would like to install your MSI silently (without any UI being shown to your users).

If that is the case, you can do that by launching the MSI as it follows:

- open a Command Prompt with administrator privileges

- run the MSI as it follows:

Code: Select all

msiexec /i "path_to_your_msi" /qn
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

astansbery

Re: How to repackage multi-part/file installer into single MSI for Microsoft Intune

Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:37 pm

That part I can do only if the installer is on a local PC/local network resource.

I'm trying to use Intune/Endpoint Manager to install this on Cloud PC's that are registered through Microsoft Endpoint Manager.
I have been able to figure out that the Setup.exe in the main installer folder would have to be recompiled to call the custom Transform I was able to make using their supplied tool.
The _setup.exe inside the System64/System32 folders is the only thing that can call the Transform. Unless you use the msiexec command line tool.

msiexec.exe /i "D:\Nuance\System64\Nuance Power PDF Advanced.msi" TRANSFORMS="D:\Nuance\System64\admin_customSettings.mst" /qn
This only works if the installer is on a local resource (PC or local network).

So it's either place the whole installer folder on their cloud PC's and run msiexec using the local path or run the _setup.exe from the installer on the SharePoint share they all have access to.

If there was a way to repackage the whole installer folder into a new .msi that works the same way as the msiexec command but doesn't require the local resource path instead using what is inside the installer.

Catalin

Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:29 pm

Hello,

The EXE you are trying to repackage sounds quite complex.

I am wondering, have you tried our "EXE to MSI" wizard?

The above should add your EXE as a prerequisite to your MSI file. In the "Prerequisites" page, you should be able to add whatever additional files you may have in the "Additional Files" field of the "Setup Files" tab.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin

astansbery

Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:02 pm

If you look at the two attached screenshots. One is the main installer folder and the other is the System64 folder inside of that folder. The custom transform uses the _setup.exe inside of the System64 folder to do the install but requires the main installer folder to install correctly. If their configuration tool would edit the AutoRun.ini so that it would use the custom transform inside of the System64/32 folders. It edits the Setup.ini file to use that why not the AutoRun.ini? Without any customizations you can just use the Setup.exe file in the main installer folder to manually select every single step in the install process.
I'll try the exe to msi but I don't think it will work.
Attachments
AutoRun.ini
Autorun.ini
(482.11KiB)Downloaded 127 times
System 64 folder.PNG
System64 folder with custom transform in it
System 64 folder.PNG (33.51KiB)Viewed 3105 times
Main Installer folder.PNG
Main installer folder
Main Installer folder.PNG (25.61KiB)Viewed 3105 times

astansbery

Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:19 pm

Setup.ini screenshot
Attachments
Setup ini.JPG
Setup.ini file screenshot
Setup ini.JPG (68.29KiB)Viewed 3104 times

Catalin

Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:56 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your explanation.

I believe things are clearer now for me.

The "MSI to EXE" solution would have worked if you didn't need to have the hierarchy of folders, I believe.

Now given that, I think the solution would be to simply create the hierarchy in a project, add all the necessary files and then, at the end of the installation, launch the MSI through a custom action.

For instance, you could use a "Launch File" custom action that launches msiexec with the required parameters to install your MSI.

Hope this helps somehow!

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”