Aethaerx

Basis question from a newbie

Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:17 am

Hi!

I'm new to the forums and to this installer community. My needs are very basic. I want to be able to create an installer that will install a Windows theme by launching an included .deskthemepack file (to install the theme) and then delete it before closing the installer. That's basically it. No actual application to install or anything like that.

To recap: I have a .deskthemepack file which is a Windows theme file and I just want to be able to show some dialog windows to the customer, install the file by it and then remove the file afterwards (maybe this can be done using the file as a temp file)? Not sure.

Can anyone help me with this?

Catalin

Re: Basis question from a newbie

Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:38 am

Hello and welcome to our forums,

To be fully honest with you, I am not really familiar with the file type you described - specifically how it is installed.

However, based on your scenario, here is how you could achieve that:

- as you mentioned, you could add the file as temporary file

- now, depending on how the file is installed, you can use different Custom Actions. For instance, if the file can be installed by double clicking on it, you can use our predefined "Launch File" custom action. In the link article, it is explained how you can launch a temporary file.

- optionally, you can follow the below FAQ to create a lightweight installer:

How do I create a lightweight setup with a single dialog?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”