Aethaerx

I need help with creating this custom dialog...

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:59 pm

Good morning everyone,

I'm new to creating installers with this awesome software and wanted to know how to properly create a custom dialog window that will give a user several choices on software to install and have them choose ONLY ONE, download it from the link I supply, and install that on their system.

I want to use radio boxes so the user only selects one and not multiple and i want them to see a selection of whats included in the installer and choose that one to download/install.

How can I do this or achieve this? Can you please provide easy to follow, step by step instructions since I'm new to this and don't have much technical or programming knowledge? I have played with the software and have a good sense of how to create and build and installer and have the other dialog pages created...its only this crucial one that is alluding me. Preferably I would like the user to do the following:

1. Make a selection from the custom dialog window on a software/file they want to install.

2. The installer downloads that choice from my website to a temporary folder/location.

3. Installer installs the choice and then deletes the temporary folder/file so it no longer remains on the computer.

4. User exits the installer.

That's all! I know custom actions need to be used and probably some conditions, I just dont know how to properly set those up or what to put into the condition fields to make all this happen. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thank you in advance!

Liviu

Re: I need help with creating this custom dialog...

Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:08 am

Hello,

If I understand correctly, you want to download and install a software based on the user selection. If that is the case, then you can achieve this using our "Feature-based prerequisites" support.

Please have a look on our How to conditionally install a prerequisite based on the user selection tutorial.

This tutorial will guide you step by step through the creation of a Windows Installer package that will conditionally install a prerequisite based on the user selection using the Radio buttons control.

If you want to download and extract a .zip archive instead of an setup package, then let me know and I will explain how to achieve that too.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Building Installers”