NigelShaw

Is it just me or are installers unnecessarily hard?

Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:21 am

Hey

ITs driving me mad. Doesnt matter what i do, there is always something that prevents me successfully building an installer! This time, a random path that doesnt even exist in my set up....

I have set my path to be explicit in Common Application Data/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/MyApp
When i run the installer, i get a message

source file not found: C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\MyCompany\MyApp\Version\Install\MyAp1.cab. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

This would imply the [Manufacturer], [Product Name], [Version] properties are being used to construct the path but i havent get them used anywhere...

my install MUST MUST MUST be in this folder location
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationData\MyApp

no fancy settings that may change the location, i am only placing gfiles into a location.

I set my build to 64-Bit package for x64 processors (AMD64, EM64T)

What could be going wrong and how can i force my build to place the files into the right location?

Thanks!

Liviu

Re: Is it just me or are installers unnecessarily hard?

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:36 am

Hello,
This would imply the [Manufacturer], [Product Name], [Version] properties are being used to construct the path but i havent get them used anywhere...
The files created there are not your files from the Application Folder. This is the extract location (created by the Advanced Installer EXE, where both MSIs and CABs are saved during installation).

This location is defined in the "Builds" page --> "Extract location" field under the "Bootstrapper Options" section.
my install MUST MUST MUST be in this folder location
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationData\MyApp
You just need to create your desired folder structure under the "Common Application Data" folder in the "Files and Folders" page.
After that just add your files there.

More details about the folder paths on our Paths of the folders in the "Files and Folders" Page article.
source file not found: C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\MyCompany\MyApp\Version\Install\MyAp1.cab. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.
This may happen due to the environment. Can you reproduce this on multiple clean machines?

Currently, the .EXE setup files built with Advanced Installer extract the embedded files (MSI, CAB, etc) asynchronously during the Wizard Dialogs stage (UI dialogs execution) to improve the installation time.

Our old method was to extract the files at the very beginning of the installation, before the UI dialogs appear.

The following workaround force the setup to firstly try to extract the CAB file before proceeding with the installation.

Can you please try to set the "ExtractFilesFirst" property to "1" in the "Properties" page, rebuild the project and see if that helps? This way, the old extraction method will be used.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Liviu

NigelShaw

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:17 pm

Hey

was a little frustrated on the last post :oops:

I made a build and copied the 'exact' same settings and didnt get the issues or errors. Strange

Thanks

Liviu

Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:21 am

Hi,

I'm glad everything is now working as expected.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Building Installers”