NigelShaw

Updater issues

Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:26 am

Hi

First, i have noticed a lack of response to posts. not just mine. you do respond but it takes days....

Right. I feel like ive done a full circle and the installer is doing things i do not want, have not set and cannot change!

Im building a 64 bit installer
i need the install to be in a specific folder that is not 32/64 specific. That location is C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\MyApp
Everything points to this location and in the Files and Folders section, its stored under Common Application Data/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/MyApp

The install works fine and everything is as expected. The problem is with the updater. its looking in a different folder!
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\MyApp\Install\0f4279\CommonAppDataFolder\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\MyApp\App.exe
When the installer un upacked it needs to be here as per my setting,
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\MyApp\App.exe

NOT HERE!!!
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\MyApp\Install\0f4279\CommonAppDataFolder\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\MyApp\App.exe

where is this location coming from because i have set up the download to be in a specific location:

Also

i have everything set up for 64 bit. My Install parameters are 64-bit package for x64 processors (AMD64, EM64T), all of the registry keys are 64bit, the updater is set as 64bit but when i look at the running process, its 32 bit... Why? I can deal with this, the big big issue i have is the random install path for an update so please please let me know what i need in order for it to work as expected...

Why does it seem more difficult than it needs to be to get the files into a folder of choice after all, thats the whole purpose of an installer right?
Attachments
path.jpg
path.jpg (10.98KiB)Viewed 4619 times

Liviu

Re: Dont wanna complain but...... its getting annoying

Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:39 am

Hello,
First, i have noticed a lack of response to posts. not just mine. you do respond but it takes days....
I apologize for the late replies, we were quite busy lately. We had a couple of days off last week (national holiday) and also a few colleagues are on summer vacation, so a lot of support inquiries gathered.

Also, I'm afraid we do not have 24/7 support, as we do not work in shifts here. The sizeable difference in our time-zones is because we are based in Eastern Europe, Romania. Our initial response time is up to 24 business hours. Our working hours are between 7 AM and 4 PM GMT (6 AM - 11 AM ET).

Also we try to address the support tickets of all customers who write us, even if their maintenance plan is expired, but we cannot always guarantee a reply in due time. This is because we have a bunch of daily tickets and the resources on our side are limited.
When the installer un upacked it needs to be here as per my setting,
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\MyApp\App.exe

NOT HERE!!!

where is this location coming from because i have set up the download to be in a specific location:

Regarding this, please use a download location like this: [CommonAppDataFolder]\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\updates\

download location updater.png
download location updater.png (17.75KiB)Viewed 4614 times

I've tested this and everything is working as expected, as you can see in the below screenshot the update setup is downloaded in the location set above.
download location.png
download location.png (294.69KiB)Viewed 4614 times

the big big issue i have is the random install path for an update so please please let me know what i need in order for it to work as expected...
Also, please note that this folder (download updates to this folder) is not the install path of your update version. This folder will contain the downloaded files which are launched to install your update.

If you still can not get this working, please forward to us your .AIP (setup project) file by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can review its settings.

Best regards,
Liviu

NigelShaw

Re: Updater issues

Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:37 pm

Hi

i understand. I thought your company might have been bigger than what it might be. No worries, i'll be more patient :)

I changed the download location as advised but i still get a random location-

I dont know where the additional 0F4F279\CommonAppDataFolder|Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\MyApp\ is coming from.

I rebuilt the project
uninstalled and re-installed the package
ran the update
still get the rogue addition to the path

ive emailed you the build package and the update

Thanks
Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (32.66KiB)Viewed 4603 times

Liviu

Re: Updater issues

Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:08 am

Hello Nigel,

I have replied to you over the email.

Let's continue the thread there until we reach a resolution.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Building Installers”