ehardin

Where to find the registry key for a VC_redistrib.x86 install

Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:11 pm

I have a Prerequisite of the latest vc_redist.x86 redistribution file. If I go to Edit -> Install Conditions the "Searches" default to [SystemFolder]file.dll which, obviously, fails. I see that there is a way of making the search for Registry Key or Registry Value. Where are these Keys or Values supposed to be in the Win10 registry?

Catalin

Re: Where to find the registry key for a VC_redistrib.x86 install

Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:21 am

Hello,

Most likely, the registry entry that should be checked is the same as in the older versions, just the value being changed.

With that being said, here is what I would advise you to do:

- create a new empty project and add VC++ Redistributable from our predefined list to see what entry we are checking

- install that said prerequisite on a VM and see how the values differ from the one we use

- combine the two and get your install condition

Prerequisite install detection criteria - How to create one

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

ehardin

Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:20 pm

I can't make heads or tails of all of the registry entries that possibly fit the description. Looking at my main Win11 Rededit and at my VM Win11 Regedit they use different UUIDS and who know if they would be the same in Win10? Hasn't anyone using AI had a VC_redist as a prerequesit? What entries to they put for the Install Conditions -> Search? It would be a pain but I guess I could select to Always Install and be done with it. -- apparently my version does not offer "Always Install" so that option is off the table.

Catalin

Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:58 pm

Hello Ed,

What version of VC Redistributable would you like to use in your project?

I can add this on our TODO list of improvements and we will add this in a future version of Advanced Installer.

Additionally, if you let me know the exact version I will be able to do some investigations and perhaps help you in achieving your requirement.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”