mayertj1

Legacy Command Line Switches

Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:50 pm

Hi

I'm trying to replicate the functionality of an existing installer (from another vendor) using Advanced Installer. This legacy installer produces a Setup executable with a fairly long list of command line arguments like the following:

• /InstallOptionA
  • /InstallOptionB
  • /InstallOptionC

I've read through your forums and documentation and cannot find anyway of replicating this behavior. Usually the solution is to use public properties that are assigned using PROPERTY="Property Value". Since we have customers that already use our existing command line switches, we would like to find a way around this limitation if possible.

Any ideas?

Tim

Catalin

Re: Legacy Command Line Switches

Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:49 pm

Hello Tim and welcome to our forums,

From what I understand, you would like to have some parameters for your setup to install different options from the command line (e.g. when installed silently).

This is indeed done, as you have mentioned, through public properties.

However, I am not quite sure I understand what you mean here:
I've read through your forums and documentation and cannot find anyway of replicating this behavior. Usually the solution is to use public properties that are assigned using PROPERTY="Property Value". Since we have customers that already use our existing command line switches, we would like to find a way around this limitation if possible.
Could you please give me some more details? What "limitation" are you refering to?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

mayertj1

Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:10 pm

Hi Catalin,

Thanks for the reply.

By limitation, I'm only referring to how command line switches can be used.

Our installer requires something like this to be compatible with what our customers are using today:

/InstallOptionA

But I think the only way available is using properties like this:

SETUP_OPTION_A="TRUE"

Or something like that anyway.

Tim

Catalin

Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:46 am

Hello Tim,

Thank you very much for the explanation, now it is clear for me what you are trying to achieve.

The only solution here would be to identify what each of those options are doing and the translate them into our project.

For instance, let's say "/InstallOptionA" will install "FeatureA". In Advanced Installer, you can go to the "Organization" page and condition "FeatureA" with an installer property, e.g.:

Code: Select all

INSTALL_OPTION_A="True"
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin

mayertj1

Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:48 pm

Thanks Catalin.

So to be clear, when I run the installer with the command line switch "Setup.exe /InstallOptionA" right now, I get the error "Invalid command line".

So its still be necessary to to change the command line to: Setup.exe INSTALL_OPTION_A="TRUE"

Tim

Catalin

Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:49 pm

Hello Tim,

I have explained this over the email and it looked like everything was clearer.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”