curt.blunt

Start Menu / Desktop Shortcut - checkbox option

Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:09 am

Hi,

I am looking to implement a step where users can untick the option for putting a shortcut on their desktops/start menu folders.

At the moment, it automatically puts the shortcut in the directories for them, however, I had an issue recently where a user did not have the ability to write to the Desktop path (read-only) thus causing our installer to fail/stall and we couldn't bypass it.

The issue is resolved now, IT admins granted access to Desktop to get around the problem, however, I would like to build this into the installer to prevent this from happening again.

P.S - I am very new to AV builds so I would be extremely grateful for someone to walk me through this via remote session if possible.

Thanks
Curt

Catalin

Re: Start Menu / Desktop Shortcut - checkbox option

Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:42 pm

Hello Curt and welcome to our forums,

This can quite easily be achieve by using our predefined "ShortcutsDlg" dialog.

I am attaching to this thread a sample project which showcases that:
Sample Court.zip
(193.49KiB)Downloaded 131 times
What I did here is:

- create a shortcut in 3 different locations (Startup folder, Desktop folder and Start Menu --> Programs folder)

If you launch the setup and uncheck one of the 3, the shortcut should not be created. For instance, if you uncheck "Desktop", the shortcut on Desktop should no longer be created.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

curt.blunt

Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:31 pm

Hi Catalin,

I don't have the enterprise version of AV. I have Architect so I cannot edit your project.

I can see how you have added a ShortcutDiag to the tasks though so I will look at that thank you.

Curt

Catalin

Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:35 pm

Hello Curt,

Please note that the sample was created using the Professional version (which is our lowest tier). After that comes the Enterprise and then Architect, which is our highest tier.

With that being said, you should be able to edit the project without any issues.

However, please note that the sample was created with version 19.9 of Advanced Installer and if you have a lower version (i.e. 19.8), you will not be able to edit it.

Best regards,
Catalin

curt.blunt

Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:10 pm

Hey.

So that seems to do the trick adding that ShortcutDialog box to the installer. I've been testing the build and running it. Desktop/Startup shortcuts are working, however... when I untick the "Start Menu" shortcut for some reason when I check after install it has put a shortcut there.

I think it's setting it from somewhere else in the build, where is best to check?

Thanks

Catalin

Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:33 pm

Hello Curt,

Thank you for the followup on this.

I have tested this and cand indeed confirm the behavior.

Unfortunately, for now, I can not say for sure why this is happening, but a ticket was created regarding this and am waiting for the developer's feedback.

Once I will have more information, I will let you know via this thread.

Best regards,
Catalin

curt.blunt

Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:35 pm

Hi,

I think it's sorted now.

Catalin

Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:07 pm

Hello,

The problem here was actually the fact that that option points to the SHORTCUTDIR property which defaults to the Start Menu - Programs folder.

It's a bit of a misleading UI and we will try to sort this out.

So, with that being said, the solution would be to move the shortcut from "Start Menu - Programs" to "Application Shortcut Folder" (SHORTCUTDIR property).

You can see where this defaults in the "Install Parameters" page.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”