kkkwj

Is MSIX possible for apps that load user-written DLL plugins?

Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:33 am

I have an application that is structured to dynamically load many DLLs at runtime. I need to decide whether to use MSIX (preferred) or an MSI installer.

It is possible, although unlikely, that users will write their own DLLs plugins that my app can load so users can extend the functionality of the app. The question is whether MSIX will allow my app to load plugins created by users.

I read your MSIX fundamentals ebook and the Microsoft documentation for MSIX, and the MS doc seems to say "No, MSIX apps are not allowed to load DLLs that are not part of the app MSIX package."

I thought I would ask you guys what to do because you are the experts on MSIX. Is there a way for me to use MSIX and still let users write their own DLL extensions (plugins) for my app to load? Or do I need to stick with MSI installers to enable user extensions to be loaded?

Thank you

Catalin

Re: Is MSIX possible for apps that load user-written DLL plugins?

Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:36 pm

Hello,
I read your MSIX fundamentals ebook and the Microsoft documentation for MSIX, and the MS doc seems to say "No, MSIX apps are not allowed to load DLLs that are not part of the app MSIX package."
What you have read is indeed correct. MSIX apps basically run in their own "bubble", separated from the rest of the Operating System - this being the reason they are considered super secure.

With that being said, I would suggest opting for an MSI installer instead.

I am assuming you'd like to create an MSIX for the ability to publish your app into the Microsoft Store. If that's the case, please note you can also publish MSI or EXE's there. More details about this here:

How to publish your MSI and EXE setup applications in the Microsoft Store

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

kkkwj

Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:41 pm

Thank you Catalin! As always, your fast answers are very much appreciated by all of us!

I forgot to say that it was a Win32 app that will never go to the Microsoft store. It doesn't write to the registry either, so there is no need for virtualization.

I just liked the MSIX practice of putting all required files in the application folder and having the app configure itself when it booted. That way there is no need for the installer to have extra scripts or programs to configure the user options and user/docs/app/* folders. I also liked the MSIX ideas of the whole application folder being hidden from users so they cannot mess it up, the ability of MSIX to easily upgrade and clean files off the machine on uninstallation, and so on.

I guess I can just prevent users from writing their own extensions, or I can design my MSI installer to mimic those MSIX policies. Thank you.

Catalin

Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:54 am

You are always welcome!

If you have any other questions, please let me know and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”