Catalin

Re: Convert MSIX to MSI using SaveAs

Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:14 am

You are always welcome!
I will figure out an installer-selection algo myself so that I can identify the key questions to ask myself before investing time and effort. Probably I will run into issues that inject new knowledge/conditions into my algo. But that's the story of development! 2 steps forward and 1 step back!
That would be the best approach, indeed.
As I write I wonder if it is meaningful to ask the question "What type of installer do most small solopreneurs end up using?"
If I were to chose one, I'd say probably the EXE setup due to the nice UI it can display. But honestly I do not have a statistic of this (just my observations over time), so take it with a grain of salt.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

kkkwj

Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:03 pm

Thank you as always for your input. Even if it is not a statistic, your feeling for EXE installers is plenty good enough for me. I thought to myself, "I would pick an EXE for non-web installers because the exe can install the prerequisites for me." The nicer UI experience is something I haven't seen yet.

Q1. If I do a web install, does the little downloader give the option of downloading an EXE, MSI, or MSIX installer? In other words, is the web installer choice completely independent of the EXE/MSI/MSIX that is downloaded? If so, then I finally have my answer! Use an EXE, and offer an automated web download-and-install experience as a parallel option.

Catalin

Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:49 pm

Hello,

You are always welcome!

Regarding your question, please note that the web-installed is meant to download the MSI and CAB files, so I'm not quite sure it will fill your requirements here.

How do I create a web-based installation package?

Best regards,
Catalin

kkkwj

Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:08 pm

A web install that downloads an MSI file is fine with me. I was just trying to figure out the choose-the-installer-type algorithm. Thank you!

Catalin

Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:36 am

You are always welcome!

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”