HobartSimms

Prerequisite property in aip

Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:25 pm

I'm in a bad spot, in that I need to create prereqs using a custom search, on the fly during build automation. The prereqs change frequently in both count and options (windows updates).
Unfortunately, I'm not finding where CLI or powershell can do this for me.

That leaves me with modifying the AIP file - definitely not my first choice in approach.
In the prereq XML, I'm trying to understand the significance / use of the "Property=PreReqSearch..." variable.
I'm assuming it looks like this from use and abuse of copying prereqs between releases.
Capture.PNG
from aip
Capture.PNG (16.54KiB)Viewed 3042 times
I would much rather go the CLI / powershell route, but the options I need are not available (search based on results of custom script).

Thanks.

Catalin

Re: Prerequisite property in aip

Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:10 pm

Hello,

Please note that you can create a search for your prerequisite based on a custom executable (BAT files included here as you can launch cmd.exe):
Screenshot_16.png
Screenshot_16.png (28.58KiB)Viewed 3031 times
If this is not what you want to achieve, then please give me some more details so I can further assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

HobartSimms

Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:45 pm

Yes, we've been using it that way for many years. However, that requires me to go in and make manual changes through the AI GUI every time a prereq changes (which is a lot). That doesn't mix well with build automation. Unfortunately (and AFAIK), the CLI only offers these limited options:
{FileVersion|RegSubKeyEnum|RegValue|ProductCode|UpgradeCode}
for the search type in a prereq. If this is not correct, please let me know the CLI (or powershell) workflow for creating a new prerequisite with a custom executable search option.
Thanks!

Catalin

Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:12 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this!

We already have on our TODO list of improvements adding prerequisite support for PowerShell automation.

I will specifically mention in that ticket that we should also add the "Custom Executable" search criteria.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Best regards,
Catalin

HobartSimms

Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:48 pm

Thanks, I'll look forward to that in a future release.

Catalin

Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:41 am

You are always welcome!

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”