andre.vieira

Upgrade is not removing older version

Hi,

I have been trying to upgrade the installer version for our company products but the installer does not seem to be removing the older installed version. I am trying to upgrade from 6.6.18 to 6.6.19 and I get an error because it is trying to install a service that is already installed (because the older version was not uninstalled).

I think I have checked the necessary options for the upgrade to work correctly (see attached print). I am also generating a new Product code when I change to version 6.6.19 and I've checked that the upgrade code remains the same.

Am I missing any option here?

Thank you for your help!
Attachments
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (19.28 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
Catalin

Re: Upgrade is not removing older version

Hello Andre,

First of all, are you sure that the entire package is not uninstalled, or perhaps it's just the service that is not?

For instance, can you check the installation folder of the v1 and see whether files are left there or not?

After that, could you please make sure, in "Services" page, that your service is set to "Stop" and "Delete" on "Uninstall"?

So far, from what you are saying, everything is configured just fine for an upgrade. The only thing I can think of is perhaps if previously you performed a per-use installation and now a per-machine one, or vice-versa.

By default, a per-user installation can not upgrade a per-machine one and vice-versa so this might have something to do here, only if you have the "per-machine if user is administrator, per-user otherwise" option set in "Install Parameters" page.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
andre.vieira

Hi,

I have checked and the files from the v1 installation are all left in their respective folders.
About the services, I am installing/uninstalling them via scripts on custom actions but I've also checked that they are all being stopped and removed on uninstalls.

As for the per-user/per-machine, I have built both versions using the "Per-machine only" type.

I don't know if it helps but I've also tried running the v2 (6.6.19) with /qb parameter and it did uninstall the older version first and upgraded successfully, although it executed with a simple UI only

Thank you
Catalin

Hello Andre,

Well, this is quite strange.

To be fully honest with you, I do not know if I ever faced this issue previously - i.e. an upgrade works silently but doesn't with full UI.

If possible, could you please forward me the following resources:

- a copy of the .AIP file of the OLD version

- a copy of the .AIP file of the NEWER version

- a download link for the older version (6.6.18)

- a download link for the newer version (6.6.19)

by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further investigate this on our end?

Best regards,
Catalin
andre.vieira

Hello again,

I sent you the files earlier this week but I think I have finally found the culprit... I was double checking every option and functionality and comparing with some of our other products installers and I found that I had a weird 'Init Event' on one of the Install dialogs. I don't know why but I had the event 'Uninstall one or more features' with argument 'ALL' and condition '1'.
I have probably copied it by mistake from another existing dialog. It wasn't really uninstalling anything but it somehow messed with the detection of older installer versions and it's upgrade.
I removed that event from the dialog and upgrade is now finally working correctly.

Thank you once again for your time!
Best Regards.
Catalin

Hello Andre,

I am glad to hear that you managed to find the culprit! :)

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”