MiguelOM

Upgrade or Patch with multiple instances

Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:47 am

Hi,

I have been trying to do what the subject title says, but I am not able to get it and I am not sure whether it is not compatible or I am doing things wrong.

The requirement is that the user should install serveral instances of the same version and also, the user should install other versions. So, the user could install:
  • Version 1.0.0
    • Instance 1
    • Instance 2
  • Version 1.2.5
    • Instance 1
    • Instance 2
  • Version 2.1.7
    • Instance 1
    • Instance 2
    • Instance 3
As I mentioned before, the way I update the application could be Upgrades or Patches. I have tried both ways but if I set an update type, multiple instances of the same version cannot be installed, and when I set multiple instances of the same version and it works, I cannot update the software. Is it possible to set it up the way I showed with list items before?

Thank you so much for your support.

Best Regards,

Eusebiu

Re: Upgrade or Patch with multiple instances

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:08 am

Hello,

In order to achieve what you want, you need to manually add more instances in the "Multiple Instances" page of your project and set the "Build major upgrades for multiple instances" option. However, please keep in mind that multiple instances are not compatible with patches.
Multiple Instances with Major Upgrades.png
Multiple Instances with Major Upgrades.png (16.02KiB)Viewed 29506 times

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

MiguelOM

Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:48 am

Hi!

So, in the case you have explained before, I guess I can install as much instances as I defined in the installer. This is great in my case, because I need to install a production environment and a pre-production environment, so with this configuration I will get it. But, related to the creation of instances, is it possible to specify the "instance name" when installing? I mean, it will be great to set an instance name in order to locate which instance I want to upgrade, delete, or whatever. For example, "instance PRODUCTION", "instance TEST" instead of choosing between "Instance #0", "instance #1".

Thank you so much for your help!

Best Regards,

Eusebiu

Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:30 pm

Hi,
So, in the case you have explained before, I guess I can install as much instances as I defined in the installer.
Yes, you're right. You can install the number of instances you defined plus the main instance.
But, related to the creation of instances, is it possible to specify the "instance name" when installing? I mean, it will be great to set an instance name in order to locate which instance I want to upgrade, delete, or whatever. For example, "instance PRODUCTION", "instance TEST" instead of choosing between "Instance #0", "instance #1".
Yes, you can set a name for your instances when you install a new instance on the "Multiple Instances" dialog.
Instance Name.png
Instance Name.png (38.48KiB)Viewed 29419 times

Best regards,
Eusebiu

MiguelOM

Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:17 pm

I have been trying to set it up the way you explained and I can create several instances for each version, but now, I have a question and I have a problem.

The question is, 5 instances means 5 instances on total, not for each version I install, isn't it? In my case, I set up 5 instances and when I reach the 6th installation, it only let me upgrade an instance, not install a new one. So I guess it's n instances in total.

The problem I have now is that if I have 2 instances installed, the first one at version 1.0.0 and the second one at version 1.0.5, and I want to upgrade the first one from 1.0.0 to 1.0.3, It tells me that there is a newer version installed on the machine, so I cannot install it. I know that it is weird to understand this scenario, because it is not usual to install a 1.0.5 when you have installed a 1.0.9 installed, but now it is a requirement, and I need to know if it is possible or not. I tried to specify a minimum version 1.0.0 and maximum with a blank value on upgrade section, but it still doing the same. It is not critical at all, it is just to know if it is possible to do it.

Thank you so much for your support!

Best Regards,

Eusebiu

Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:20 pm

Hi,

I apologize for the delayed reply.
The question is, 5 instances means 5 instances on total, not for each version I install, isn't it? In my case, I set up 5 instances and when I reach the 6th installation, it only let me upgrade an instance, not install a new one. So I guess it's n instances in total.
Yes, 5 instances means 5 instances in total. After all 5 were installed, you can only manage those instances (upgrade, repair, remove), not install a new one.
The problem I have now is that if I have 2 instances installed, the first one at version 1.0.0 and the second one at version 1.0.5, and I want to upgrade the first one from 1.0.0 to 1.0.3, It tells me that there is a newer version installed on the machine, so I cannot install it. I know that it is weird to understand this scenario, because it is not usual to install a 1.0.5 when you have installed a 1.0.9 installed, but now it is a requirement, and I need to know if it is possible or not. I tried to specify a minimum version 1.0.0 and maximum with a blank value on upgrade section, but it still doing the same. It is not critical at all, it is just to know if it is possible to do it.
I'm afraid this is a limitation, indeed. If an instance was updated to a newer version, another instance cannot be updated to an older one.

If you have other questions, just let me know.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Building Installers”