Jamie.Garroch

Out of disk space during project build

Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:00 pm

I am building a large project with an output folder on a NAS. The project won't build as it says the local drive doesn't have enough disk space yet there is double available compared to the output MSI size (for a the previous build).

How mush spaces does AI typically need to build projects and is there a way to tell it to use a different drive during the build process?
I live, breathe and sleep PowerPoint automation, so you don't have to!
https://brightcarbon.com

Catalin

Re: Out of disk space during project build

Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:51 pm

Hello Jamie,

I'm afraid I can not really tell how much AI needs in order to build a project as this is specific for each project.
is there a way to tell it to use a different drive during the build process?
You can specify the output folder in the "Builds" page --> "Output" --> "Folder" field.
double available compared to the output MSI size (for a the previous build).
Have you built the previous project on the same NAS? If so, perhaps you have used a different version of AI to do so?

If you have build the previous version of the MSI on the same NAS with the same version of AI, then perhaps there's some other thing involved here, rather than an issue with Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Jamie.Garroch

Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:31 pm

You can specify the output folder in the "Builds" page --> "Output" --> "Folder" field.
I am currently pointing this to the NAS, where space is measured in TB. The problem I have is that the local drive has very little space and I think that the build process is creating temporary files such as the large CAB archives on the C:\ drive "somewhere", before it gets to create the MSI in the output folder on the NAS. This is the stage it's running out of disk space and causing the build to fail.

Previous versions of the MSI were built with the same version of AI.
I live, breathe and sleep PowerPoint automation, so you don't have to!
https://brightcarbon.com

Catalin

Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:07 pm

Hello Jamie,

You are indeed right, there are some temporary operations we perform on the local machine.

A possible solution to this would be to move the project on a partition with more memory and build it there.

Project Paths Tab
Having an absolute path for each file allows you to move the project file (.AIP) anywhere on your disk (even on different partitions). The application will still be able to find all the files.
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”