joefio

Upgrade an application without GUID

I am currently rewriting the installer for my application with advanced installer. The application does not appear to have a GUID. The NSIS installer used previously checked for a different registry key, which had the install path as its value, to determine if it was an update.

How would I go about setting up updates for an application that does not have a GUID? Advanced installer looks for an Upgrade code, but the application I am trying to update does not have one. In this case, I would need a way to check if a registry path exists to determine if it is an update, and update to the path specified in the registry key. But i am not sure how to do so. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Catalin

Re: Upgrade an application without GUID

Hello,

Indeed, if I remember correctly, the NSIS packages create an uninstaller.exe which is called on upgrade.

To achieve what you want, we can create a "Registry search" in the "Searches" page.

You can then update the registry key either through the "Registry" page (if you can recreate the path) or through a "Custom Action" (e.g. a PowerShell script).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
joefio

Catalin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:53 am Hello,

Indeed, if I remember correctly, the NSIS packages create an uninstaller.exe which is called on upgrade.

To achieve what you want, we can create a "Registry search" in the "Searches" page.

You can then update the registry key either through the "Registry" page (if you can recreate the path) or through a "Custom Action" (e.g. a PowerShell script).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Hi Catalin,

This is very helpful, thank you for the response.
Catalin

You are always welcome!

Glad I was able to assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”