joefio

Skip "Select Installation Folder" screen

Mon May 08, 2023 7:11 pm

How can I skip the "Select Installation Folder" screen if a non MSI program is already installed? I am trying to update a previously installed program that did not use a MSI installer.

Liviu

Re: Skip "Select Installation Folder" screen

Tue May 09, 2023 8:39 am

Hello,

In order to achieve this, you can create a search and then display the dialog based on the search result.

From the Searches page you can create your search to find out if your program is installed.

The result of this search will be stored in a property.

In order to show a dialog based on a condition you can use the Show only if... option. Select you dialog which you want to show based on the condition and from the context menu select the "Show only if..." option and add in the Condition field the property which has been assigned to the search operation in order to fit your scenario.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Liviu

joefio

Tue May 09, 2023 6:18 pm

Liviu wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:39 am
Hello,

In order to achieve this, you can create a search and then display the dialog based on the search result.

From the Searches page you can create your search to find out if your program is installed.

The result of this search will be stored in a property.

In order to show a dialog based on a condition you can use the Show only if... option. Select you dialog which you want to show based on the condition and from the context menu select the "Show only if..." option and add in the Condition field the property which has been assigned to the search operation in order to fit your scenario.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Liviu
I have the Professional license for Advanced Installer and can't edit dialogs. Is the "Show only if..." option only available with the enterprise license? If so, is there any way of doing something similar with the Professional license?

Catalin

Wed May 10, 2023 12:34 pm

Hello Joe,

I'm afraid that the "Dialog Editor" feature is only available starting with our "Enterprise" suite.

If you've got any other questions, please let us know and we will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

joefio

Wed May 10, 2023 4:05 pm

Catalin wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 12:34 pm
Hello Joe,

I'm afraid that the "Dialog Editor" feature is only available starting with our "Enterprise" suite.

If you've got any other questions, please let us know and we will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
So the "Select Installation Folder" screen will always appear with the Professional version? Even during updates? I would like for the user to not be able to select a different directory for the update.

Catalin

Thu May 11, 2023 2:50 pm

Hello Joe,

I'm afraid yes, you can not hide that dialog in the "Professional" suite.

What you can do, however, is this:

- go to "Upgrades" page

- check the "Use original installation path when upgrading" option

This will make the path to be the same as the first installation. However, this can be changed by the customer, although it is highly unlikely (most users will click through that dialog).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”