ima-aa

Problem submitting desktop bridge app to the store

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 am

Hello,

I've a problem with the store submission of an appx package of our desktop application. Building package was successful. In the second step i tried to upload the package to the store, now i got some validation errors.

Invalid package family name - Where can i set this? Can't find that in the package information tab
Invalid package publisher name - This is a field in the package information tab. So i changed the value to the expected one. But every time i reopen advanced installer the old (computed?) value is taken.

Thanks
Andreas

Daniel

Re: Problem submitting desktop bridge app to the store

Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Hello Andreas,
Invalid package family name - Where can i set this? Can't find that in the package information tab
From what we know this metadata cannot be set. The package family name is generated by the OS (not Advanced Installer) starting from the Package Identity Name, it basically appends a hash at the end of the name, which is generated from the Package & Publisher Identify information.

You cannot directly set this name. As long as you set the Package Identity Name correct (as Microsoft requires) and the Publisher ID the package family name must be correct too.

The Package Identity Name can be set within your project from "Package Information" page -> "Package" -> "ID" field. The Package Identity Name is composed of the publisher/company name and the app name. As our default show, it must be (Microsoft requires) something like this:

YourCompanyName.YourAppName

Your company name is automatically detected by Microsoft from your Windows Developer account. If you set that wrong you should contact Microsoft and ask for help to change it. All the apps you will publish in the store must have the package identity starting with this name.

The Publisher ID can be set from "Package Information" page -> "Publisher" -> "ID" field. The Publisher ID must be set to the value given by Microsoft into your Windows Developer account, e.g. CN=12345678-1234-1234-1234-123456789012
Invalid package publisher name - This is a field in the package information tab. So i changed the value to the expected one. But every time i reopen advanced installer the old (computed?) value is taken.
I am not so sure why this happens. I tested the scenario but I cannot replicate this. Can you consistently replicate it? If so, can you try to iterate a detailed step by step test case you follow when this issue occurs?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

ima-aa

Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Ah i see. Then the problem is that i can't set the publsiher id on the universal windows package information page. Every time it's set back to cn=xy, ou=xy, o=xy, …

Where is this information taken from? Street etc isn't set in advanced istaler. Is it coming from the authenticode certificate?

greetings
Andreas

ima-aa

Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:59 pm

just tried it. disabling the signing of the package - and the publisher id isn't changed automatically.

After that the submission works...

Daniel

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:09 am

Hello Andreas,

Indeed when digitally signing your MSIX package the Publisher ID is always fetched at build time within your certificate subject. However please keep in mind that when building an MSIX package to be submitted to Microsoft Store you should not sign it. The package will be signed inside the Store with a Microsoft certificate.

Thus, you should indeed disable the signing option within your project.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

ima-aa

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:12 am

allright, thanks...

Daniel

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:59 am

You are always welcome Andreas.