FleX

Install Logs for .exe Project

First off, let me say I've really been enjoying your product. It's incredibly easy to use and very powerful.

Now to my question.

I am trying to write an install log when running my compiled installer executable (It's .exe, not .msi).

I have tried several different command lines and none of them appear to work. They all give me the error "Invalid Command Line" when running the executable.

What do I need to put in the command line to be able to create a log file?

Please denote anything that needs to be replaced with information from my project (Path, File Name, etc.).

Thanks,

Brian
FleX

Re: Install Logs for .exe Project

Anything on this? Is there not a way to produce a log file for the installation?
Eusebiu

Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer. I'm glad you like it.

There are more ways to create a log file from an EXE package installation as described below:

1. You can either select the "Enable verbose logging" option from the "Install Parameters" page which will automatically create the log file with a random name (e.g. MSI1234.LOG) under the %temp% folder.

2. Send the "/L*V <path_to_log>" command to the EXE file (i.e. MyPackage.exe /L*V "D:\myLogFile.txt").

3. You can go to "Builds" page and write the appropriate command line in the "MSI command line" field from the "Bootstrapper Options" section. In your case "/L*V <path_to_log>" is the switch for logging verbose your installation. It's important to mention here that “msiexec.exe /i <path-to-msi>” is implied at the command line and therefore is no need to put that in the command line.

4. If you install the package through the Auto Updater, you can write the log command line, in the "Command Line" field from the "Update Installer" tab of the "Updates Configuration" project.

5. Another option that works for all the cases, regardless the package type or the installation method, is to enable the logging in the registry as described in the "Automated logging with the Windows Installer Logging Policy" section from the "How do I create an installation log" article.

You can find all the needed information in the "EXE setup file" article.

Let me know if this helped, otherwise give me more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
FleX

Enable Verbose Logging was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much.

-Brian
Eusebiu

You're welcome Brian. Glad to help.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
KumarOne

Hi All,
I’m new to Advance Installer, I have a Bootstrapper exe and I’m facing some issues with silent installation
I’m trying to install the exe silently using below command, which installs fine, but failing to register fonts and dll’s,
Command: “Setup/exe /exenoui /qn /norestart”
whereas when I trigger install manually installation in UI Mode it registers few dll’s and fonts post successful installation after selection of finish button(In a command prompt).
So how I would be able to check/detect the CA which are getting triggered post Installation, and how I can get this CA installed Silently.
Catalin

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I am not sure why that happens.

Can you please send me a "verbose log" of the installation process by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further investigate this?

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”