it_master

Another version of this product is already installed (EXE file)

Hi,

I have problem with installing new version:

Code: Select all

Another version of this product is already installed....
I've changed (increased) product version from Product Details.
Is there any other thing that I must do?

- I have an exe file
- Only exe file has been changed in new version. other files with no changes.
Catalin

Re: Another version of this product is already installed (EXE file)

Hello and welcome to our forums,
Yes, you should also generate a new ProductCode for your project. The ProductCode property is a unique GUID used to identify your application. This identifier varies from version to version.

Two products with the same ProductCode can not be installed on the same computer. Windows Installer will prevent this with an error reading:

Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Programs and Features in the Control Panel.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
it_master

Catalin wrote:Hello and welcome to our forums,
Yes, you should also generate a new ProductCode for your project. The ProductCode property is a unique GUID used to identify your application. This identifier varies from version to version.

Two products with the same ProductCode can not be installed on the same computer. Windows Installer will prevent this with an error reading:

Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Programs and Features in the Control Panel.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
How can I generate new ProductCode? I followed this guide "viewtopic.php?t=34770#p96086" but not working (same problem).
1. Go to the "Upgrades" page and select "Customize Advanced Installer upgrade rules". Two rules will be displayed in the "Upgrades" section.
- double click on the first rule and modify it in the following way: in the "Versions o upgrade" field, Min version enter "1.0.0" and in the max version enter a large value that your package will never exceed, for example 100.100.100"
- double click on the second rule and modify it in the following way: in the "Versions o upgrade" field, Min version enter "100.100.100". The "Max version" field should be left empty
2. Create a backup copy of you .AIP file - this will be the old version
3. Edit the project as you wish in order to configure the new version.
4. Go to "Product Details" page and increment the "Product Version". When leaving the page you will be prompted if you want to generate a new Product Code. You have to select "Generate New"
5. Build the project
I did all steps except 2 because I dont know how to do it.
Catalin

Hello,

Normally, when you increase the "Version" of your product, you are asked to either generate a new product code if you plan to do a major upgrade or to keep the existing product code if you plan to create a patch. The window that asks you those said above looks as it follows:
IncreaseVersion.PNG
IncreaseVersion.PNG (14.62 KiB) Viewed 24029 times
However, if you did not change the product code when you were asked to, you can still manually do so by following the next steps:

- go to "Product Details" page --> "Product IDs" tab --> under "Product Code" section, double click on the product code. A window as in the following screenshot should be spawned:
GenerateNewProdCode.PNG
GenerateNewProdCode.PNG (52.11 KiB) Viewed 24029 times
- click "Generate" and then click "Ok"

P.S.: If another window will be spawned telling you that by changing the ProductCode you will enable Major Upgrades, but disable patches, click "Ok".

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
it_master

Catalin wrote:Hello,

Normally, when you increase the "Version" of your product, you are asked to either generate a new product code if you plan to do a major upgrade or to keep the existing product code if you plan to create a patch. The window that asks you those said above looks as it follows:
IncreaseVersion.PNG
However, if you did not change the product code when you were asked to, you can still manually do so by following the next steps:

- go to "Product Details" page --> "Product IDs" tab --> under "Product Code" section, double click on the product code. A window as in the following screenshot should be spawned:
GenerateNewProdCode.PNG
- click "Generate" and then click "Ok"

P.S.: If another window will be spawned telling you that by changing the ProductCode you will enable Major Upgrades, but disable patches, click "Ok".

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Thanks for help. I did the instruction and I never get "Another version of this product is already installed" error but now the problem is when application installation finished, it asks:

Modify Repair Remove

What should I do? Why it dont automatically install/start?
Catalin

Hello,

I am not quite sure I understand what you mean here. Could you please give me some more details about your scenario (maybe some screenshots)?

All the best,
Catalin
it_master

I am not quite sure I understand what you mean here. Could you please give me some more details about your scenario (maybe some screenshots)?

All the best,
Catalin
App updated successfully but when I click on app (shortcut icon on desktop) a new window appear which has 3 buttons:

Modify | Repair | Remove

I mean app does not start when I click on its icon and when I "Open File Location" (C:\Program Files (x86)\app) I see the installation file (10MB) there, not main application which is 4MB.
it_master

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin

Hello,
App updated successfully but when I click on app (shortcut icon on desktop) a new window appear which has 3 buttons:
That might be happening if you click on the setup, not on the desktop shortcut of your application. If you install a setup and then you click it, it will launch in Maintenance Mode, letting you choose from one of the following options: Modify, Repair, Remove.

In what regards the screenshot, could you please upload it one more time? It seems that it was not correctly uploaded last time.

Also, could you please forward me a copy of your .AIP file and a download link for the setup built with the .AIP file by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further investigate their settings?

All the best,
Catalin
it_master

That might be happening if you click on the setup, not on the desktop shortcut of your application. If you install a setup and then you click it, it will launch in Maintenance Mode, letting you choose from one of the following options: Modify, Repair, Remove.

In what regards the screenshot, could you please upload it one more time? It seems that it was not correctly uploaded last time.

Also, could you please forward me a copy of your .AIP file and a download link for the setup built with the .AIP file by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further investigate their settings?

All the best,
Catalin
Just sent an email.
I recorded a video from first to see what is happening.
Catalin

Hello Amin,

First of all, thank you for the sent files. In what regards your problem, this may be happening due to the fact that you are using the fourth field of the "Product Version" field. Please note that Windows Installer uses only the first three fields of the product version. If you include a fourth field in your product version, the installer ignores the fourth field. For more information about this, you can have a look on the ProductVersion property article.

However, the previous installed version can still be removed, although only the fourth field from the product version is increased, by following these steps:

- go to the "Upgrades" page and enable the "Customize Advanced Installer" upgrade rules option;
- double-click on the Advanced Installer rule that is related to the [OLDPRODUCTS] property;
- in the "Product Info" tab, enable the "Include maximum version in range" option and click OK;

Important: Please note that you need to generate manually a new ProductCode in the "Product IDs" Tab from the "Product Details" page.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
it_master

Catalin wrote:Hello Amin,

First of all, thank you for the sent files. In what regards your problem, this may be happening due to the fact that you are using the fourth field of the "Product Version" field. Please note that Windows Installer uses only the first three fields of the product version. If you include a fourth field in your product version, the installer ignores the fourth field. For more information about this, you can have a look on the ProductVersion property article.

However, the previous installed version can still be removed, although only the fourth field from the product version is increased, by following these steps:

- go to the "Upgrades" page and enable the "Customize Advanced Installer" upgrade rules option;
- double-click on the Advanced Installer rule that is related to the [OLDPRODUCTS] property;
- in the "Product Info" tab, enable the "Include maximum version in range" option and click OK;

Important: Please note that you need to generate manually a new ProductCode in the "Product IDs" Tab from the "Product Details" page.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Hi,

Please check your email (this time I sent via gmail)
Catalin

Hello Amin,

I have answered you over the e-mail.

All the best,
Catalin
it_master

Catalin wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:44 am Hello Amin,

I have answered you over the e-mail.

All the best,
Catalin
Hi,

I have replayed to you a few days ago, didnt get it?
Catalin

Hello Amin,

Yes, I have received the e-mail. As for this moment, this is still under investigation, please give me some more time and as soon as I will come to a conclusion, I will let you know.

All the best,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”