burnersk

Adding Support for empty serial numbers (unlicensed/trial)

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:55 am

I have a AI Professional license and would like to use the "Enter serial number" feature as it is in AI Professional. I have a 3rd party licensing product and do not require or want to use AI Enterprise's licensing feature (3rd party product is by far superior: obfuscation, encryption, floating licenses, etc...).

I am also strongly interested in getting the serial number into SWID XML file to eleminate the need for commercial buyers to repack the setup again to have the serial number in the SWID XML file.

I would love to see it, when AI would have the opportunity to allow the "Customer Information" dialog to be empty for AI Professional licenses.

This way, I am able to have a single MSI setup that supports trial (unlicensed) installes, in which the customer does not enter anything, and licensed (with serial number) installs, in which the customer enters valid customer information and serial number.

PS: And maybe an information to the user, when entering nothing is an option. Something like "When you do not enter anything, this product will be installed with a evaluation license".

Daniel

Re: Adding Support for empty serial numbers (unlicensed/trial)

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:39 pm

Hello,

Thank you for using Advanced Installer.

I have forwarded your suggestion to our development team and maybe they will consider such improvement in the future. However, to be honest for the moment our dev team workload is very high and full with lots of task so your suggestion has a very low priority for the moment.

Thank you for four understanding on this.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

burnersk

Sat May 30, 2020 10:37 am

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I am still "in desperate need" for such feature.

I want to clarify what I want. I guess you may have misunderstood me, as I see this change request more like fixing a typo (just remove the if-statement in your source code, e.g. "string.IsNullOrEmpty(licenseKey)", and put an additional text on the license page like "to start a trial, leave the license box empty").

Daniel

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:23 am

Hi,

I have further debated your request with my development team, but I am afraid your request was rejected by our project manager. And this is because your request can be fulfilled by using our "Trial" feature or the "Dialog Editor" feature available in the "Enterprise" edition of our tool.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”