Jeroen

Trouble with installing SSL certificate on HTTPS site

Hello,

I'm trying to create an HTTPS website in IIS with advancedinstaller. I just can't get the certificate to work. I'm using AI 15.9

The user needs an easy way to select the certificate of choice, in the installer. Is there an easy way to create a dropdown with installed certificates just like IIS does when creating a binding?

The other problem I'm having is that I can't get certificates to work at all in my installer. When I follow all the tutorials I just keep getting the error
"There was an error while processing the digital certificate for Web Site "Site_HTTPS".
It doesn't work when entering the thumbprint from the self signed certificate created in IIS. It doesn't work when selecting the exported *.pfx. It keeps giving me errors.
If I'm creating the binding manually in IIS then it works flawlessly.

Any ideas? I couldn't find any answers on the forum that were helpfull in my case.
Daniel

Re: Trouble with installing SSL certificate on HTTPS site

Hello,

We apologize for such a delayed reply but we were extremely busy lately.

Unfortunately we do not have any out of the box support to browse for current installed certificates on target machine at install time. The only workaround for this will be to develop your own custom action code to iterate through installed certificates and save the ThumbPrint os the selected certificate into an installer property (e.g. CERT_PROP). Then you can select the "Use existing server certificate" option and use the formatted reference of the above property ([CERT_PROP]) in the "ThumbPrint" field.

In what regards the error while processing the digital certificate, I cannot say why this happens. Can you please send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
sc.spms.test

Hi Daniel

Can you provide a sample .AIP (project file) based on workaround you suggest. You said to use a custom action.

Thank you.
Daniel

Hello,

I am afraid we do not have any such samples. Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
ghassen

If the user does not select any thumbprint ( or subject ) then how can I avoid errors in installation process!
I want to make an SSL Certificate an optional input! how can I achieve that?
Daniel

Hi and welcome to our forums,

The only workaround for now is to try and develop your own custom action to iterate through the available certificates on machine at install time and populate them into the installer UI. SO, you will have to write your own code for this functionality.

As a side note, we have added this improvement on our todo list and hopefully in the future it will be included in our built-in features. However for now I cannot give you any estimate for this, but as soon as this get implemented into our product we will update this forum thread.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Building Installers”