SubZero

Determining files that will be changed after restart

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:38 am

Hi Ai-Team,
we are currently using the option install new version first and then uninstall old version with reboot supress. Sometimes the installer can't delete or change specific files and seem to schedule the file change for the next restart. Some of our customers don't restart their system for month, so if they get a number of consecutive updates during this time and do a restart after that windows seems to make the old changes that were scheduled for restart. In that case we suddenly have old files again.

What is the best way to prevent this? Is there a mechanism to determine which file changes are scheduled for a restart so that we prevent an update until the restart happened in order to avoid inconsistencies?

Daniel

Re: Determining files that will be changed after restart

Fri May 03, 2019 11:55 am

Hello,

I am afraid I am unaware of any mechanism you can use to get the list of the files scheduled to update after system reboot.

The best way to avoid this issue I think will be to schedule a force reboot within the installation setup itself (at the end of the installation). For instance, you can develop your own custom action to trigger a system reboot at the end of the installation.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

SubZero

Tue May 07, 2019 11:32 am

Thanks for the answer.
I found a way to determine the Files that will be changed after restart.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/bra ... -a-reboot/

Catalin

Wed May 08, 2019 2:15 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this and for sharing the results of your investigations with us. I am sure this will be helpful for further users facing a similar scenario.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”