DPenney

Issues with side-by-side install

Mon May 06, 2019 6:07 pm

Hey, Wondering if this is the right place to work through some issues I am having with the side-by-side install functionality. I had been using Advanced Installer 13.4 (ran into issues with an update after that where the side-by-side installs broke for us) and I am finally in a position to upgrade to 15.8/15.9 with an Enterprise license.

Issues that we had previously, seem to still be evident in the latest versions.

1. Specifically, I am not able to update an instance other than the first installed instance
- 13.4: Complains about missing MSI files (attempts to open an archived copy of the MSI that the OS saves);
- 15.8/15.9: No option to 'Install New Instance/Maintain Existing Instance', and upgrading any instance other than first, results in 'Resuming Setup';
2. After updating the first instance updating second instance results in:
- 13.4: Complains about missing MSI files (attempts to open an archived copy of the MSI that the OS saves);
- 15.8/15.9: Complains about missing MSI files (attempts to open an archived copy of the MSI that the OS saves);
3. Periodically (13.4, 15.8/15.9), the Advanced Installer 'New Instance' functionality fails to us the text entered in the 'New Instance Name' field and defaults back, and this results in the Windows Add/Remove DB having multiple copies of the default name;
4. In 15.8/15.9, attempting to install a 'New Instance' when installing a version newer than the first, prevents install;

Thoughts?

With the Advanced Installer -> Package Definition -> Builds -> Do Not Delete Extracted ... option set, I do not get the 'missing MSI' error, but another error instead.

Please let me know if these are known issues or if I can provide additional information to help troubleshoot the issue. I have a detailed test plan to replicate the errors that I am encountering.

DPenney

Re: Issues with side-by-side install

Wed May 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Am I off base with this?

I am fairly sure that, configuration wise, I am only dealing with the setting to enable side-by-side installs and that there is nothing else in the Advanced Installer configuration that could be affecting the issues that I am seeing.

The company that I work for has been paying maintenance for years but I have been unable to update for some time due to other work priorities but I have a block of time that I can devote to upgrading and dealing with the problems that I am experiencing with the side-by-side installs.

I am attaching my test plan for the Advanced Installer 15.8 tests that I ran, if this helps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vw-QI9 ... sp=sharing

Daniel

Thu May 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Hello,

If you are trying to use the "Allow side by side installs of different product versions" option from "Upgrades" page, then I am afraid that this option is incompatible with our "Multiple Instances" feature.

The only way to use the major upgrades mechanism for multiple instances is to enable the "Build major upgrades for multiple instances" option in "Multiple Instances" page and the "Automatically upgrade older product versions" option from "Upgrades" page. If you encounter issues using this configuration, then please send us your setup project (AIP file) and a detailed test case by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can try to further investigate this.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

DPenney

Thu May 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Thanks for the reply!

And I seem to remember having both selected in our 13.4 config file. I will change that and try again.

Daniel

Mon May 13, 2019 10:04 am

You are welcome.

All the best,
Daniel

DPenney

Wed May 15, 2019 1:35 pm

Ok. I have had a moment to disable the side-by-side option and focus on the 'Multiple Instance' option.

It looks like I still have some of the same problems as before ... but some have gone away and that is good. Can you clarify what the intended behaviour is for the following situations:

1. I have installed two instances of 1.83.01.01 of my test software, which worked great but if I try to install 1.83.02.02, I can not install it to a new instance - is this correct (ie: I do not get the options to a) Install to New Instance, or b) Upgrade/Maintain an instance)?

2. With the previous setup (running the 1.83.02.02 installer), although I do not get the options to Install a New Instance or Upgrade/Maintain an instance, I can select one of the previous instances. If I select the second install (the 1.83.01.01 version that was installed (as a multiple instance)), the install proceeds to 'Resuming the <product name> Setup...' and does not upgrade the selected instance - is this correct?

3. In the previous instance, if I select the first instance (the initial install of 1.83.01.01), the install proceeds as expected and it is updated to 1.83.02.02;

Daniel

Tue May 21, 2019 1:06 pm

Hello,
1. I have installed two instances of 1.83.01.01 of my test software, which worked great but if I try to install 1.83.02.02, I can not install it to a new instance - is this correct (ie: I do not get the options to a) Install to New Instance, or b) Upgrade/Maintain an instance)?
No, this is not the intended behavior. I think this could happen if you did not generate a new ProductCode for your setup project v1.83.02.02. Each time you change the ProductVersion in "Product Details" page of your setup project you should choose "Generate New Product Code" option when asked so. A major upgrade compatible setup package should always use a different ProductCode than the previous versions of the setup product.
2. With the previous setup (running the 1.83.02.02 installer), although I do not get the options to Install a New Instance or Upgrade/Maintain an instance, I can select one of the previous instances. If I select the second install (the 1.83.01.01 version that was installed (as a multiple instance)), the install proceeds to 'Resuming the <product name> Setup...' and does not upgrade the selected instance - is this correct?
I think this happens due to the same reason as above. Please make sure you generate a new ProductCode for your setup project v1.83.02.02.
3. In the previous instance, if I select the first instance (the initial install of 1.83.01.01), the install proceeds as expected and it is updated to 1.83.02.02;
To be able to analyze this behavior I will need to check the settings of your old and new version of your setup projects (AIPs files). So, could you please send us by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com your old and new version setup project and a step by step test case we can follow to replicate the behavior?

All the best,
Daniel

DPenney

Tue May 21, 2019 2:16 pm

Thanks for the replies Daniel!
I think this could happen if you did not generate a new ProductCode for your setup project v1.83.02.02. Each time you change the ProductVersion in "Product Details" page of your setup project you should choose "Generate New Product Code" option when asked so.
In this instance I am updating the version on the command line via:

Code: Select all

AdvancedInstaller.com /edit Qimera.aip /SetVersion ${VER_MAJOR}.${VER_MINOR}.${VER_PATCH}.${BUILD_NUMBER}
I am checking the product code after this through a similar call and I have verified in the logs for those builds that the Product Code did change.

AdvancedInstaller.com /edit Qimera.aip /GetProperty UpgradeCode
{B642F33A-EBA1-4D50-98FD-6C713F7FB846}

AdvancedInstaller.com /edit Qimera.aip /GetProperty ProductCode
1033:{EBD23E14-C849-4F27-9456-DDA136EE942E} 

AdvancedInstaller.com /edit Qimera.aip /GetProperty ProductVersion

AdvancedInstaller.com /edit Qimera.aip /GetProperty UpgradeCode
{B642F33A-EBA1-4D50-98FD-6C713F7FB846}

AdvancedInstaller.com /edit Qimera.aip /GetProperty ProductCode
1033:{A7F41B41-A4D3-4FC1-BC83-5942959A7E98} 

AdvancedInstaller.com /edit Qimera.aip /GetProperty ProductVersion
Since I reused the .aip file, I will run through the process again and package them all up a little later today. Thanks for the response!

Daniel

Wed May 22, 2019 9:16 am

You are welcome.

Just get back to us with the .AIPs (project files) of both old and new version and a more detailed test case if you still face further issues.

All the best,
Daniel

DPenney

Fri May 24, 2019 7:46 pm

Email has been sent. Thanks!

Daniel

Fri May 31, 2019 10:22 am

Hello David,

From what I see you have the "Generate instances at install time" option on "Multiple Instances" page of your setup project, but this option is not compatible at all with "Build major upgrades for multiple instances" option. They are mutually exclusive.

The only way to use the major upgrades mechanism for multiple instances is to enable the "Build major upgrades for multiple instances" option in "Multiple Instances" page and the "Automatically upgrade older product versions" option from "Upgrades" page.

So, can you please go to "Multiple Instances" page, uncheck the "Generate instances at install time" option and then check the "Build major upgrades for multiple instances" option and rebuild both of your setup projects? This is the correct configuration you should go with when you need to build major upgrades compatible setup projects.

All the best,
Daniel

DPenney

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Thanks! I will try this today!

Daniel

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:47 am

You are welcome David.

All the best,
Daniel

DPenney

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:50 pm

Ok. So maybe I am confused between what it means to "Generate instances at installation time" and "Build major upgrades for multiple instances", so I will give that a try but the option to "Automatically upgrade older product versions" is not what we want to accomplish.

What we want is for our customers to install a new version of our software beside the old one, so that they can make sure that it does not adversly affect their data and process. In essence, we want to allow customers to install a new copy of the software in order to 'beta test' it against their existing workflow and against copies of there data in order to make sure that the features that they requested work as requested. I am assuming that the "Automatically upgrade older product versions" option will break this?

DPenney

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:42 pm

Further question. If I disable "Generate instances at installation time" and enable "Build major upgrades for multiple instances" and not touch the "Automatically upgrade older product versions", the installer is hanging right after the pre-requisites install (and if I install the pre-requisites manually, it hangs at the start of the install). If I use /L*V to generate a log, I get this:
Action ended 10:32:44: PreparePrereqDlg. Return value 1.
MSI (c) (18:A8) [10:32:44:826]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding AI_FOUND_PREREQS property. Its value is 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable'.
MSI (c) (18:A8) [10:32:44:826]: Note: 1: 2262 2: AI_PreRequisite 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (18:A8) [10:32:44:826]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Condition 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (18:A8) [10:32:44:826]: Note: 1: 2262 2: MultipleInstances 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (18:A8) [10:32:44:826]: Note: 1: 2262 2: MultipleInstancesProps 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (18:A8) [10:32:44:842]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (c) (18:BC) [10:32:44:842]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
=== Verbose logging stopped: 6/5/2019 10:32:44 ===
Which is really odd because I get no output after the pre-requisites check is completed. It looks like the installer is hanging right at the start. If I generate a new installer with those two values ("Generate instances at installation time" and "Build major upgrades for multiple instances" reversed) the installer proceeds as expected. This is with Advanced Installer 15.8.

Return to “Common Problems”