jmoleary

Where do I go to change the Start Menu Icon for my installed application?

Mon May 13, 2019 7:37 pm

I can easily make Advanced Installer use the Icon I want for my app in the Control Panel. But I cannot find the place to control what icon it shows in the Start Menu. Where exactly is that?

I've set the icon under "Product Details >> Add or Remove Programs (Control Panel)" -- that just makes it show up right in Control Panel
I've set the icon under "Package Definition >> Organization >> General" -- but that has no effect that I can see

I cannot find anywhere else to specify an icon.

Where else do I go?

Catalin

Re: Where do I go to change the Start Menu Icon for my installed application?

Tue May 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Have you successfully create a shortcut to your application in the "Start Menu"? If not, please proceed as it follows in order to achieve that:

- please go to "Files and Folders" page --> click on the executable for which you want to create a shortcut under the "Start Menu".

- now click on the "New Shortcut To" button from the toolbar --> "Installed File" --> select the executable and click "Ok".

- in the newly spawned dialog ("New File Shortcut"), under "Paths" section --> "Shortcut folder:" field, press the "..." button. This will let you choose the folder where the shortcut will be created. Here please select the "Start Menu" -> "Programs" subfolder.

Now that our shortcut is successfully created, it is time to change its icon. If not changed, the icon will be inherited from the main executable. To do so, please select expand the "Start Menu" folder from the "Files and Folders" page --> double click on the shortcut. After doing so, a new dialog will be spawned ("Edit Shortcut Properties"). In that dialog, under the "Display" section, you can change the icon that will be displayed for your file.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Catalin

Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 am

You are always welcome.

Glad I could help.

All the best,
Catalin

Nikos455

Sat May 22, 2021 4:49 pm

Hello There

Is there a way to change the StartMenu icon to be bigger. Bigger than executables shortcut icon

Thanks
Nikos455

Catalin

Tue May 25, 2021 3:20 pm

Hello Nikos455,

I have answered your other forum thread here:

Set Icon Bigger

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”