ozhummer

Can I disable the "Executing Restore Operation" task

I have an installation that is taking about 10 minutes to run through the "executing restore operation" phase of the install. This is at the end of the processes. I have over 1000 users who will be installing this software in the coming weeks, however with a pause in proceedings like this I estimate 90% will click the cancel button thinking the install has just frozen. If I cannot disable or turn off, what are the common causes for this step to take forever????
Daniel

Re: Can I disable the "Executing Restore Operation" task

Hello,

This happens when you are using the "Do not overwrite existing files" option on an installation folder with a large number of resources. When this option is enabled on one of the installation folders/registry keys here it is what happens:

1. before the current setup is actually installing its resources a backup copy of the above folder/reg key is made
2. the current setup installs its resources
3. at the end of the installation the backup copy of the original resources are restored in the original location and they overwrite the installed resources, thus the original resources are restored

If the original location of the folder/reg key you enabled the above option has a large number of resources, then the backup and restore operation could be tedious. In this case please double check which folder/reg key you enabled the preserve operation on and if the preserve operation is not required by all their child resources, than try to enable the preserve option explicitly only on the child resources you need to be preserved.

Hope this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ozhummer

I have checked and don't have any files labeled as 'Do not overwrite existing files' - I may have had a registry key with this previously, but I deleted it. Is there any chance this could have caused it and because I deleted it before setting it back? - So the setting to force the 'executing restore operation' is still set and I cannot reset it now ??
Daniel

Hello,

No this should not happen after you delete the registry key.

To further investigate the root cause of this behavior, please send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”