Testus_Maximus

Failed to run guest instance in Virtual Machine

Thu May 23, 2019 8:50 am

Hi Team,

when i try to re-packaging an EXE using a Hyper-V VM i get this error: Failed to run guest instance in Virtual Machine.

Here is the output from my latest attempt. Remote Tools Logs:

Adding network share connection for : \\169.254.178.14
Adding network share connection failed with error code : 53
Setting network share folders root for : \\169.254.178.14
Starting a new repackaging session
Adding intranet site : 169.254.178.14
Launch process : "\\169.254.178.14\AI_Home\bin\x64\RepackagerCLI.exe" /SetupPath "\\169.254.178.14\AI_App_0\ShareFileDriveMapper-v3.13.102.0.exe" /ProccesMonitor /CheckMachineState /ProductName "Citrix ShareFile Drive Mapper" /PromptAfterInstall /VmName "Test VM 2" /VmPath "3B8B7DA6-E25E-47D8-9609-B645DF369BBB" /GenerateBat /VmProfile "{60EFAF53-6EA9-4277-95FC-9005F65A8328}" /Configuration "MyProfile" /OutputPath "\\169.254.178.14\AI_Output" /VmServer "localhost" /VmHostType "2" /VmSlaveInstance
Elevation required, launch process elevated.
Failed to launch process! Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Maxi

Catalin

Re: Failed to run guest instance in Virtual Machine

Thu May 23, 2019 1:42 pm

Hello Maxi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

I have tested this scenario and everything worked as expected for me. I have download and tested the same setup ("Citrix ShareFile Drive Mapper"). In order for me to further investigate this, could you please give me some more details about your environment such as:

1. is the setup that you are trying to repackage located in a shared location?

2. what OS does your VM hold? is it Windows 10 or another version? Also, could you please tell me what version is the Windows are you using (on the VM)? To do so, simply open the run window (WIN + R) and type "winver" then please give me the version + the OS Build number.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Testus_Maximus

Mon May 27, 2019 3:34 pm

Hello Catalin

Many thanks for you reply.

1. Yes the setup is in the download folder. "Share this Folder" with Full Control is active.

2. The OS is Windows 10 PRO. See Attachment.

Best regards,
Maxi
Attachments
2019-05-27 16_33_23-Window.png
2019-05-27 16_33_23-Window.png (15.33KiB)Viewed 5924 times

Catalin

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:28 am

Hello Maxi,

First of all, please accept my apologies for the delayed reply.

Thank you for your followup on this.

I have further tested this but unfortunately I was still not able to replicate the behavior.

Maybe the language of the OS has something to do with this (my VM had the English language). Please give me some more time to further investigate this and I will come back to you with what I have concluded.

Best regards,
Catalin

Testus_Maximus

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:05 pm

Hello Catalin

Many thanks for your reply.

I've set up a new vm on english. Unfortunately same behavior "Failed to run guest instance in Virtual Machine".

I think the problem is here where its try to adding a network share connection. But how to solve this? See attachments.

Best regards,
Maxi
Attachments
2019-06-03 18_02_26-_Advanced Installer Test VM_ auf _localhost_ - Verbindung mit virtuellen Compute.png
2019-06-03 18_02_26-_Advanced Installer Test VM_ auf _localhost_ - Verbindung mit virtuellen Compute.png (27.15KiB)Viewed 5863 times

Catalin

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Hello Maxi,

I have further investigated this on our side, but unfortunately I still do not have a conclusive answer to this.

The error that you are given can be translated to: "The network path was not found.".

If you don't mind, I may need you to do the following things and let me know the results:

1. try to ping your VM machine from the host machine and vice-versa. To do so, simply open a command prompt on both machines and proceed as it follows:

- run the "ipconfig" command on both machines.

- try to ping the host machine from the VM and vice-versa: ping <ip_of_your_host_machine> & ping <ip_of_your_virtual_machine>.

Please let me know the results of this.

2. try to create a new virtual switch and then set it as default for your current snapshot.

After doing so, please retry the process and let me know the outcome.

Best regards,
Catalin

Testus_Maximus

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:52 am

Hello Catalin

1. Ping from Host and vice-versa was successful. See attachement.

2. I tried to create a new virtual switch and then set it as default for the current snapshot, but same behavior.

Best regards,
Maxi
Attachments
2019-06-07 10_45_29-Failed to run guest instance in Virtual Machine - Advanced Installer.png
2019-06-07 10_45_29-Failed to run guest instance in Virtual Machine - Advanced Installer.png (289.32KiB)Viewed 5793 times

Testus_Maximus

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:37 am

growweedeasy101 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:12 am
I have encountered the same problem. Thankfully, I solved it. light-hearted
Hii growweedeasy101

Would you mind explaining to me how you solved the problem?

Many thanks in advance!!

Best regards,
Maxi

Catalin

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Hello Maxi,

That was most probably a bot that somehow passed our anti-bot system. I have deleted it and I apologize for the inconvenience.

In what regards the issue you are encountering, this is still under investigation on our side. The main problem of this consists of the fact that we can not reproduce the behavior, which makes it really hard for us to track down the problem.

If you could help me further investigate this by trying the following, it would be great. Previously, you have said that the EXE is located on a shared location (a shared folder from a network location). Does this issue reproduces when, during the Wizard, you pick the EXE from normal location (e.g. a folder from your Desktop)? Could you please test this out and let me know the results?

Best regards,
Catalin

Testus_Maximus

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Hallo Catalin

Damn that bot i already had hopes xD

It's so strange! Am i the only one who encountered this problem?
  • i moved the EXE to a folder from the desktop. Same issue. It's really frustrating...
Best regards,
Maxi

Catalin

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:08 am

Hello Maxi,

It is strange, indeed. You are not the only on that encountered this issue but unfortunately we were never able to replicate this on our side to see where the problem resides.

Here is a screenshot of the logs after I have done the repackaging operation on my machine:
tempsnip.png
tempsnip.png (50.7KiB)Viewed 5715 times
The error you are encountering here is a system error, which can be translated to: "The network path was not found".

You can either check this by looking it up on the internet or, if you have Visual Studio installed, you can open it --> from the toolbar, press "Tools" --> "Error Lookup" --> enter 53.

There are few things that I was thinking of lately:

1. is your computer part of a domain? If yes, I was thinking that maybe there are some policies which do not allow you to connect to the network location.

2. I have not asked you this before since I was pretty sure this was not the case, but I will give it a try now. Have you tried to manually connect to the network drive. For instance, you can open a CMD prompt and run the following line:

net view \\yourNetworkLocation

If the returned error code is 53, this might indicate that the problem does not reside in Advanced Installer, but in the computer's configuration instead.

3. do you have the "File and Printer sharing" option enabled? To check this, you can open Control Panel --> "Network and Sharing Center" --> "Change advanced sharing settings" --> "Turn on file and printer sharing"

When this option is on, files that you have shared from your computer can be accessed by other people from the network.

Hopefully some of the above information will be useful for you. I will further try to investigate this and see what I can find.

Best regards,
Catalin

Testus_Maximus

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:11 am

Hii Catalin

It works now! But i don't know what exactly was the solution for this, because i changed so much settings and i can't remember wich change was the right one. Maybe Trend Micro was the problem. But you can see this case as done and thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Maxi

Catalin

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:44 pm

You are always welcome, Maxi.

I am really glad you got this working.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”