sdst

Files with double extensions are blocked by some antiviruses

Mon May 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Good morning,

in our IT environment we are actually having the problem that our antivirus is blocking file accesses for files with double extensions like "EXEF0CD.tmp.bat".
As far as I could deduce AdvancedInstaller is using this batch file (actually always two equal batches are created) as a "clean-up" after the installation is terminated in order to delete the extracted MSI package.
The installation process is actually working and terminating fine without errors, however the extracted MSI is not deleted (since the antivirus blocks the script) and the report of our antivirus is leading to confusion and many open tickets in our IT department.
The usage of double extensions is known as a phishing technique and therefore seen as a bad practice.

Would it be possible for you to avoid using them? Or is there a way to configure the naming used by AdvancedInstaller to avoid those double extensions?

This would be significantly helpful for us and I suppose pretty easy to implement.

Best regards,
Luca

P.s.: please forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum section, actually I was unsure if this is a feature request or a common problem

Catalin

Re: Files with double extensions are blocked by some antiviruses

Tue May 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Hello Luca and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

This may be caused by a small modification that we have made in what regards the way we create temporary cleanup files. I have forwarded this to the development team and we will try investigating this soon. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I will update this thread as soon as we will find a conclusive answer.
P.s.: please forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum section, actually I was unsure if this is a feature request or a common problem
Do not worry about this. It can be labelled as both.
:)

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

mbhmirc

Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 am

Hello,

Would it be possible to get an update on this as it's affecting my own development team also? Our antivirus vendor has told us we can't make exceptions in this rule so we would have to turn it off. Our security team said they won't do this as these people have email in addition to development on their machines. It's not stopping anything working but it's confusing our team also with all the virus alerts. Appreciate anything you can do!

Thank you kindly,

Mark

Catalin

Thu May 23, 2019 9:35 am

Hello Mark and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Sure, I will update this thread as soon as this will be fixed. Please let me know if you also want me to notify you by e-mail as well.

P.S.: We are already working on this.

Best regards,
Catalin

sdst

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:40 am

Hello Catalin,

thank you for your answer and your commitment until today.
This issue became quite important for us and we would like to ask, even if it's not already finished, are there any updates?
Can we ask if it will be implemented in the next version?
Would you have in case a release date for that version?

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Luca

Catalin

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:24 pm

Hello Luca,

You are always welcome.

We have already worked on this issue and fixed it. Most probably, it will be available starting with our next release (Advanced Installer 16.1) which is scheduled in the upcoming days.

Unfortunately, I can not give you an exact date for the release. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
Catalin

Catalin

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Hello,

This has been fixed in version 16.1 of Advanced Installer.

P.S.: For some reason, it seems that we have missed to update this forum thread. I apologize for that.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”