Collins

Global XML Element Setting For Uninstall

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:02 pm

Hi,

It would be very helpful if there was a way to globally set the element value for "Uninstall" on the Element Settings tab for all elements on the Install tab. It's time consuming to uncheck it for each element in a large xml configuration file. I attached a screen shot of what I'm referring to.
GlobalXMLElementValue.png
GlobalXMLElementValue.png (27.17KiB)Viewed 13011 times

Daniel

Re: Global XML Element Setting For Uninstall

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:13 am

Hi,

This should be doable with our latest version (16.9) of Advanced Installer. Just try to select multiple xml elements using the [CTRL] key pressed and then check or uncheck the related checkbox option.

If this does not help you, please give us a bit more details about what you are trying to achieve.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Collins

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 pm

Daniel wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:13 am
Hi,

This should be doable with our latest version (16.9) of Advanced Installer. Just try to select multiple xml elements using the [CTRL] key pressed and then check or uncheck the related checkbox option.

If this does not help you, please give us a bit more details about what you are trying to achieve.

All the best,
Daniel
Thanks Daniel. That works for the top elements, but it doesn't work for for all the nested elements. The configuration files are permanent so if the application is removed, they will remain so that they can be reused. Also, they can be modified externally by customers so all the elements in the configuration file need to remain so that they are not removed on uninstall.

Catalin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Hello,
but it doesn't work for for all the nested elements
I am not quite sure I understand what you mean by this. Could you please elaborate so I can better understand?

I have tested this just now and everything seemed to be working as expected (please refer to the following screenshot):
MultipleElements.PNG
MultipleElements.PNG (64.21KiB)Viewed 12998 times

After unchecking the "Remove element on uninstall" option, I could notice that the option reflected on all the selected elements:
ElementOne.PNG
ElementOne.PNG (63.64KiB)Viewed 12998 times
ElementTwo.PNG
ElementTwo.PNG (67.12KiB)Viewed 12998 times

Also, in what regards your request, just so I can better understand, you would like a global checkbox that would either disable or enable the "Remove element on uninstall" on all your elements?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Collins

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:38 pm

Catalin wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:12 pm
Also, in what regards your request, just so I can better understand, you would like a global checkbox that would either disable or enable the "Remove element on uninstall" on all your elements?

Best regards,
Catalin
Yes, a global checkbox that would either disable or enable the "Remove element on uninstall".

Here is a video of what I am seeing: https://www.screencast.com/t/wm1PVFjuWr

I also attached a sample project.
Attachments
Sample_XML_Elements.aip
(86.38KiB)Downloaded 474 times

Catalin

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:35 am

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this. I can see what you meant there.

I have created an improvement on this subject and forwarded it to our development team. Hopefully, this will be added in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Until then, I'm afraid that the only way would be to select all your elements using CTRL + mouseclick combination and then uncheck the option.

Best regards,
Catalin

Catalin

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:19 pm

Hello,

As a followup to my last thread:

I've given this another shot to see if I could find a workaround for this matter and I was able to do so. In order to globally enable/disable the "Remove element on uninstall" option, please proceed as it follows:

- select your XML file in AI and double click on it

- select the first element

- CTRL + A --> to select all elements

- CTRL + click on the first element (root element) --> to unselect the root element

- enable/disable the "Remove element on uninstall" --> this should enable/disable the option for all your elements

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin

Collins

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:17 pm

Catalin,

I tried that, but I don't get the option to choose "Remove element on uninstall" option.
https://www.screencast.com/t/7FegDRsZp7

Catalin

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:51 am

Hello,

This is quite strange, indeed.

I have tested this once again and everything worked as expected on our end. Please see the video below:

https://www.screencast.com/t/DBiubluRFXsa

Could you please let me know what version of Advanced Installer you are using (I have tested this using v16.9)?

Best regards,
Catalin

Collins

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:50 am

Catalin wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:51 am
Hello,

This is quite strange, indeed.

I have tested this once again and everything worked as expected on our end. Please see the video below:

https://www.screencast.com/t/DBiubluRFXsa

Could you please let me know what version of Advanced Installer you are using (I have tested this using v16.9)?

Best regards,
Catalin
Yes, v16.9. I think it may have to do with the element structure and depth.

Catalin

Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:01 am

Hello,

Could you please forward me a copy of your .XML file by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can test this on our end?

Best regards,
Catalin

Collins

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:28 pm

Catalin,

Email was sent with the sample project.

Catalin

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:08 pm

Hello,

I have received the e-mail. Thank you for the provided sample project.

The CTRL+A keys combination, what it does in fact, is to show the common UI for all the elements.

The problem in your case is the fact that you have comment-type elements in your XML file.

Since you can not check the "Remove element on uninstall" option for a comment-type element, it means that the UI is not common between these two types, therefore it will not be shown.

I have discussed with the developer about this and we will add, in a future version of Advanced Installer, a button which will allow you to select all the elements (normal-type ones) so you can apply whatever option you wish to those elements.

Unfortunately, as for this moment, I am not aware of any workaround for this issue other than:

- using SHIFT+click to select all the elements that do not contain comments

- check/uncheck the desired option

- manually check/uncheck the desired option for the elements containing comments

I will update this thread as soon as the improvement will be added to Advanced Installer. Once again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Feature Requests”