jonnyo

How to define language of selected features msi

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:47 pm

Hi,

Most of the language Questions seem to be much more complicated than my question, so i did not get the correct answer for my question. I hope you can help or answer it in short if there is no possible solution

We built a frame setup which has some features the user can select to install. The features itself are msi files with englisch (deault) and german language.

If the user starts the frame Setup it uses the correct language of the System e.g. german if the system is german, als in all cases it uses english. The Problem is that the selected features / msi are called with their configured default language, in our case english instead of the exspected system language (german).

Is it possible to configure our frame setup to call the msi features with the system language (e.g AI variable)?
To be more exact, if system is german all feature msi should be executed in german like the Frame setup. In all other system languages it should use the Default language englisch.

Is it possible to configure?

I hope you can help.

Greets
Frank

Catalin

Re: How to define language of selected features msi

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Hello Frank,

By "features", I believe you are refering to feature-based prerequisites (please correct me if I'm wrong). If that is the case, are these prerequisites built using Advanced Installer?

I'm asking the above because I am not 100% sure this will work if they are not. However, you could try it:

First of all, I want to clarify something: you mentioned that your machine is in German and you expect the prerequisites to also be launched in german (again, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Here is what we can try:

- please open your Advanced Installer project

- go to "Prerequisites" page

- go to "Setup Files" tab

- under the "Install Command Lines" section, please insert the following:

Code: Select all

ProductLanguage=1031
in the "Full UI" field.

Please rebuild your project and let me know if the MSI is launched with your desired language (German).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

jonnyo

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:51 pm

Hi Catalin,

We created a few msi Setups with AI. All of them are put together into the Frame Setup as selectable Features by the user. Each of These Features can be installed optionally. i think this is meant by you with feature-based prerequesites.

Your Suggestion would configure AI to use Always german as the Default language, that is not what we want to reach.

Current Situation:
We start the Frame Setup on an englisch System and there it starts in english. All Right. On a german System it starts in german. Also all Right. Also for any other language, there it starts per default in englisch. Everything ok.

Now the user selects one or more of the prerequits features. When the feature msi´s start to install they are Always executed in the Default AI language englisch. So we mix of different languages during the Installation process.
Is it possible to tell the launched msi´s what language they have to use, when it´s launched by the main Setup?

I hope this makes it clearer.

thanks for your quick response

Catalin

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:48 pm

Hello Frank,
Is it possible to tell the launched msi´s what language they have to use, when it´s launched by the main Setup?
This is exactly what I have explained in my last thread.

Let's consider the following example so you can better understand this:

You have your main package. Your main package contains:

- prerequisite A
- prerequisite B

When launching the setup in English, prerequisite A and B are launched in English.

When launching the setup in German, prerequisite A and B are still launched in English.

To make your prerequisites be launched in German (the prerequisite software must be a multilingual package, supporting the German language):

- open your main project (Advanced Installer project)

- go to "Prerequisites" page

- go to "Setup Files" tab

- in the "Full UI" command line field, insert the following:

Code: Select all

ProductLanguage=[ProductLanguage]
This way, your prerequisite will be launched in the same language as your main package. If the main package is launched in English, the prerequisites will also be launched in English. If the main package is launched in German, the prerequisites will also be launched in German.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin

jonnyo

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:08 pm

Hi Catalin,

i tried to change the value in Full UI field, but now it does stop with the following message on every call to an feature msi.
"The Language of This Installation Package is Not Supported by Your System".
The system is a german one and your mentioned variable is replaced with 1031 e.g.
documentation.msi /qb /norestart APPDIR="[APPDIR]\Documentation\" ProductLanguage=1031

Our language settings within the documentation.msi looks as follows.

1. Build lnaguages (english us) and German (Germany)
2. Options: Create only a multilingual package
3. UI Language: Automatically use system language for installation.

Thats all.

The prerequisite in the frame setup calls the msi of documentation, not the .exe version. Is this the problem?

Thanks Frank

Catalin

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:47 am

Hello Frank,

That error may be thrown if your prerequisite package is not built to support more languages (it is not a multilingual package).
The prerequisite in the frame setup calls the msi of documentation, not the .exe version. Is this the problem?
I am not quite sure I understand this. Is your prerequisite an EXE or an MSI?

I have created two sample projects, one multilingual prerequisite (ML_Prerequisite) and one multilingual main package (ML_Main). Please find them attached below:
ML_Main.aip
(17.23KiB)Downloaded 223 times
ML_Prereq.aip
(12.49KiB)Downloaded 231 times

Simply download the .AIP files and build them. First, build the prerequisite and then, in the ML_Main.AIP file, in "Prerequisites"page, point to the earlier built prerequisite. Build the ML_Main.AIP file, test the resulted package on your machine and let me know if you encounter any issues.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin

jonnyo

Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi Catalin,
ich checked your samples and there it works.
In our AIP files everthing Looks the same. I checked the languages tab and the prerequisite settings in our main, as well as in one of our feature setups. Everything looks the same.

Your samples work, our Setups throw an error, that the System language is not supported.

Our Main Setup is a bootstraped msi which calls the Features based prerequisites with their .msi files (mentioned in the configuration path to use).

The Features Setups themselves can also be installed directly without a the main Setup and here the user can also use the .exe which is available beneath the msi.

So within the main Setup the featuresbased prerequisites are called with their msi. Outside they can also be called with their corresponding exe file. Beside the feature msi there is also a cab file. There your Solution differs to our constellation. Perhaps this is the issue.

Is there another place to define the supported languages of an msi than in "User Interface -> Tanslations -> Languages tab"? Perhaps i have missed a Checkbox anywhere

Thanks
Frank

jonnyo

Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:46 am

Hi,
we checked our feature msi files, but they really do not contain the german language, even the Checkbox is checked in AI.
Are the language ressources located in the bootstrap.exe? Like mentioned our feature Setups have a .cab file (does only include files), a msi and a Setup.exe.

That is a difference to your sample. Settings are all equal. Are languages placed in the bootstrap exe?

Else i would open a case and send you one of our feature Setups.

Thanks

Catalin

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:09 am

Hello Frank,
Is there another place to define the supported languages of an msi than in "User Interface -> Tanslations -> Languages tab"? Perhaps i have missed a Checkbox anywhere
No, the "Translations" page is where you should define the languages.

In what regards your prerequisites, did you build them as MSI or as EXE? If you build the package as an EXE, then you should use the EXE as a prerequisite.

If, instead of the MSI file, you add the EXE file as a prerequisite, does it work as intended?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin

jonnyo

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:27 pm

Hi Catalin,

now i found the Problem. It´s our build Definition which differs to yours.

We build an exe setup with ressources next to it. So the build produces a small bootstrapper exe, a small msi and a cab file with the necessary ressource.
If i Change that to Single MSI (ressources inside) everything works like in your sample.

So i will change our build settings to multiple build definitions to get a fully ressourced exe and a fully ressourced msi file.

This will lead to my last Question.
Does the Team Foundation Server build Task (we use the build step Extension for tfs not the cmd interface) build all build definitions which are included in the aip file or do we have to configure the build definition we want to build anywhere?

Thanks for your help.

Catalin

Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:16 am

Hello Frank,

Thank you for your followup on this.

I am really glad you got this working.

In what regards your last question, I am not quite sure I understand it. Could you please give me some more details (maybe exemplify) so I can further assist?

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”