shahviral6438

Error with cumulative patches

Hi team,

Scenario is, assume we have generated an EXE which has version 1.0.0. Now, we have generated patch (which will be versioned as 1.0.1 and will be targeting 1.0.0). Users are able to install patch successfully.

Now, we have generated another patch targeting version 1.0.1 and will be versioned as 1.0.2.
When users (who have already applied first patch) try to install second patch, they are getting below error:
"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program"

If we are able to download the MSI and CAB files of version 1.0.1 on user's machine, is there a way to install the second patch?
Apart from this, is there any other way to handle this scenario?

Thanks,
Viral Shah
Daniel

Re: Error with cumulative patches

Hi Viral,

I am not so sure why this happens. Installing the second patch after the first one is applied should work just fine.

To further investigate on this, could you please share with us by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com the following resources from your side:

1. the .AIP (setup project file) of your 1.0.0 setup project
2. the .AIP (setup project file) of your 1.0.1 setup project
3. the .AIP (setup project file) of your 1.0.2 setup project
4. the .AIP (setup project file) of your 1.0.1 patch
5. the .AIP (setup project file) of your 1.0.2 patch

so we can fully investigate and test their settings?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
shahviral6438

I have sent mail to support at advancedinstaller dot com with required files. Do let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks,
Viral Shah
Daniel

Hi Viral,

Thank you for the sent files.

Please note that when you need to create a patch you should not change the ProductCode when building the new version of your setup package. Also, you should make sure you fulfill all patch creation rules.

Also, I have observed that your setup project uses the following options:

1. in "Product Details" page - "Override Windows Installer program list entry" option
2. in "Themes" page -> "Settings" tab - "Use Enhanced User Interface -> Always" option

Please note that these options are not compatible with path creation process. You cannot create a valid patch when those options are used. So you should either disable those options or create only a major upgrade setup project (instead of a patch).

Hope this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”