Slayer

Automatic / Manual install

Hi I have created an installer that does not need user input, the APPDIR is determined by a .VBS script and no user input is required.

Now I have an edge case where a customer is using symbolic links and the filepath is exceeding 255 characters.

What I would like to do is make an installer where there are 2 choices, Automatic and Manual. Manual file path could be via the FolderDlg?

I don't really need the Typical/Custom/Full type of install as it doesn't really apply here. Tying to figure out how to make this work? What is the best way forward?
Catalin

Re: Automatic / Manual install

Hello and welcome to our forums,
Manual file path could be via the FolderDlg?
If you want the user to manually select the installation path, then the answer is yes - you can use the predefined "FolderDlg" dialog.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Slayer

Hi again. I still haven't sorted this out. Is there way to have the installer have a installation choice: A or B , if the user selects A then B will be unavailable and vice versa.

In my case: If user selects A ( automatic install ) my script runs and detects the install path and installs it there via APPATH . B (manual install) a file dialogue opens and user picks location to extract.

I don't see a way to do this or a way to disable dialogues on the fly (I'm using the professional version)
Catalin

Hello,
if the user selects A then B will be unavailable and vice versa
This would be available by using a "RadioButtonGroup" control.

However, this would imply using the "Dialog Editor" feature, which is available starting from our Enterprise suite.
I don't see a way to do this or a way to disable dialogues on the fly (I'm using the professional version)
If by disabling you mean hiding a dialog during the installation, this is also available in the "Dialog Editor" feature by right clicking on the dialog --> "Show only if..." and setting a condition for that dialog.

More infromation about this can be found in our "How to conditionally install a prerequisite based on the user selection?" article.

Best regards,
Catalin
Slayer

Thank you for the reply. I came to the same conclusion that the Enterprise version would be required.
Catalin

You are always welcome!

Please let me know if there is anything else you would require assistance with.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”