Justin

Update failed because there is another application use the same updater service.

Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:34 pm

Hello,
As title, I have two application use the updater service of Advanced Installer. But the two updater.exe sign with different certificate, so when i update the application which was installed before another application, i saw message "Update installation was blocked, digital signature mismatch or untrusted publisher. Please contact technical support."

Could you help for this, how can i solve it? Thanks!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12YzOsb ... sp=sharing

Best Regards,
Justin

Catalin

Re: Update failed because there is another application use the same updater service.

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:50 pm

Hello Justin,

If you have the "Install only digital signed update packages signed with the same certificate as the Updater" option checked, please note that the behavior is normal.

In this case, some mandatory rules that need to be kept must be followed. For details, please check the Installing only digitally signed updates article.

One of those rules is the following:

- the updater and the updated package (MSI or EXE) must be signed with the same certificate

In your case, it seems that you are using the same updater to update multiple applications. This would be fine if all would be signed with the same certificate.

Here is what could be done here:

- use different updaters for your applications

- use the same certificate (more details in the article linked above)

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Justin

Re: Update failed because there is another application use the same updater service.

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:43 am

Hello Catalin,

1. I didn't checked the "Install only digital signed update packages signed with the same certificate as the Updater" option, do I need check it in our case?

2. "- use different updaters for your applications", do you say I can change the updater service name or change the updater.exe to xxx.exe? Could you tell me how to do it? Thanks!

3. The other application is not developed by ourselves, so it can not use the same certificate.

Thanks!
Best Regards,
Justin

Catalin

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:04 pm

Hello Justin,

Thank you for your followup on this!
2. "- use different updaters for your applications", do you say I can change the updater service name or change the updater.exe to xxx.exe? Could you tell me how to do it? Thanks!
This can be changed from the "Updater" page --> "Display" section --> "File name" field.

If you are updating your application silently (without elevation), more information about this can be found in the "How to handle updates without elevation" article.
Make sure the service name is unique, and you don’t change it afterward. The service name must match the name of the Updater file.
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”