Calibra

Problem with "per-user" installation

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:30 pm

Hello

I have a problem setting the installer to be "per-user" by default. My goal is. the installer to install the application in c:\users\[user]\appdata folder
1. First of all i would like to say that if you put "InstallType" in dialog editor page and choose per user before the installation, this way works OK
But,
2. I want to make this to be default setting without opton the user to choose whether it's per user or per machine, so what i tried is setting the application folder "[AppDataFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]" in Install parameters - but when i install the msi package it's still gives me the default path c:\program files (x86)\ ....
I tried all the options in "Install parameters", per -user, per machine if user is administrator, per-user otherwise, also tried changing the application folder to various different folders like desktop, custom folders in different drives etc but no luck, but it always gives me the same result during installation c:\program files (x86)...

Please check the picture for more clarification.
If someone know what i am missing would be great!

Thanks
Goran
Attachments
2021-06-15 15_29_09-Photos.png
2021-06-15 15_29_09-Photos.png (191.42KiB)Viewed 8442 times

Catalin

Re: Problem with "per-user" installation

Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:13 pm

Hello Goran and welcome to our forums,

I can not really say why this is happening. Judging by the screenshot, the path should be set accordingly.

I have run few tests on my end and everything worked as expected.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me a copy of your .AIP file by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

One more thing I have noticed from your screenshot is the fact that you are using the "Air" theme with an MSI. Please note that the "Air" theme requires the "Enhanced User Interface" option in order to be rendered correctly (e.g. building an EXE instead of an MSI since the Enhanced UI is only available in our EXE bootstrapper). You can notice that the theme is not rendered correctly in your screenshot (for instance, the back button is in the top left corner).

When you change the theme, your output is automatically changed from MSI to EXE ("Builds" page) and the "Enhanced User Interface" option is changed from "Never" to "Only on install" ("Themes" page --> "Settings" tab)

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Calibra

Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:31 am

Thank you for the answer Catalin,

You indirectly solved my problem, the problem was (is) in MSI installer, when I run the EXE build then the correct path is selected in AppData folder (see picture) like it's selected in Install parameters.
I toyed around with themes like you suggested (tried with classic etc.) but does not seem to make impact on the outcome.

So the problem is only with MSI package - it always redirects my installation to \Program files (x86) folder, while EXE package works fine, this basically solves my problem but it would be nice if I can make MSI installer too to behave this way as well , if you have any kind of solution would be nice.

ps. I also send .API file in mail like you said.

Thank you
Goran
Attachments
2021-06-16 10_13_59-Problem with _per-user_ installation - Advanced Installer.png
2021-06-16 10_13_59-Problem with _per-user_ installation - Advanced Installer.png (197.74KiB)Viewed 8423 times

Catalin

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:09 pm

Hello Goran,

I am really glad to hear the problem is now solved.

Regarding your second problem, I have had a look over the provided .AIP file and I could notice you have two builds in "Builds" page - one MSI and one EXE.

For your MSI the path is not correctly set because the installation type is of "Per-machine only":
permachine.png
permachine.png (56.29KiB)Viewed 8418 times
I toyed around with themes like you suggested (tried with classic etc.) but does not seem to make impact on the outcome.
If you want to build an MSI, the "Classic" theme is the one to go, indeed.

If you change the installation type to "Per-user" for the MSI build, I believe everything should work as expected (i.e. the path should be set accordingly to the installation type).

Best regards,
Catalin

Calibra

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:17 pm

omg... i totally did NOT saw the build option to choose from, thank you Catalin, how could i have missed that :)

Best regards
Goran

Catalin

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:25 pm

You are always welcome, Goran!
:)

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”