theodorus.alvin

Practical method of applying auto update for patch

Hello, I am looking for practical example of patching new version of an application using auto updater feature. As side note, I managed to patch new version but using manual update (double clicking on generated msp file).

In my case, I have two version 1.0.0 (installed on end user's PC) and 1.0.1 (latest version with minor updates). In order to update 1.0.0 -> 1.0.1, I have created a patch msp file of which I am going to use to patch version 1.0.0.

Now, I could do manual patching, by double clicking on the msp file without issues, but the problem is, my company wants patch to be automatically applied whenever there is a new fix. From what I read on this tutorial https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... dater.html, auto updater works just fine with patch as it is with updates, but I am struggling thus I have several questions:
  • Do i need update.exe and update.ini file for the auto update?
  • Since I am going to utilize remote server, do I need to put update.txt file on remote server to let end user's PC know whenever there is a new update?
  • On the remote server, do I put the latest msp file for the patch to install automatically?
  • When creating a new msp file, I have to specify upgraded image and target image. Under upgraded image, how do i specify msp file location on remote server while patch package file only allows file on localhost?
In case auto update does not work, I am not limiting patch options, so manual update is still possible, but since most of my users are not tech savvy, i will have to make it simple for them. One method is creating check for updates shortcut on the desktop as icon. Under updates tutorial I understand how to do this with updates.exe file, but what about msp file? how do I create desktop shortcut with msp file so that when users double click on that icon, install will begin?

Appreciate if anyone can share suggestions.

Regards,
Alvin
Catalin

Re: Practical method of applying auto update for patch

Hello Alvin,

Managing a patch using the updater is very similar to managing a major upgrade.

Here's the "Managing a patch" section of our Updater tutorial.
Do i need update.exe and update.ini file for the auto update?
The answer here is yes.
Since I am going to utilize remote server, do I need to put update.txt file on remote server to let end user's PC know whenever there is a new update?
The updates.txt file should be placed in a location where the updater.exe can download it to read its' data.

Regarding the other questions, I would suggest reading the above article to better understand how our updater.exe tool works.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
theodorus.alvin

Hello Catalin,

Thanks for your feedback, I managed to perform patch by putting both update.txt file and latest msp file on remote server. But I have not been able to patch latest version to user's PC automatically.

For my settings, I have done the following:
  • Checked check for updates using advanced installer
  • Filled in updates configuration file URL
  • Selected automatic under updater execution
  • Under edit task properties schedule tab, configured the trigger to run on workstation lock
Aside from that, I have also checked install support service under updater as mentioned in this tutorial: https://www.advancedinstaller.com//user ... dates.html. I am doing this because I need to bypass administrator privilege in order to install latest patch.

Also under updater configuration, I have checked install updates without elevation and made sure that my projects already have Per machine only (fails if the user is not administrator) installation type.

Yet when I lock my PC, update.exe does not run because the application version is just the same.

Do you have suggestions of where to make sure regarding the issue?

Regards,
Alvin
Catalin

Hello Alvin,

Unfortunately, I can not say for sure why that is not working.

However, I've checked for that option with Scheduled Tasks and from the looks of it it is not really reliable:

Windows 10: Scheduled tasks with workstation lock/unlock not being triggered

That being said, I would advise scheduling it at "user logon" or something similar to that.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”