farmerphd

AppxInstaller caches files from two MSIX packages

Hello,

I'm using some common files between MSIX packages. When I install them, the OS attaches permissions from separate MSIX packages in both packages.

All of the package files, after install, the file security properties show in |Condition| column: (WIN://SYSAPPID Contains "package name) for both packages that share some of the same files.

It has been difficult to see where the problem affects the applications but each runs a jvm client and server that is part of each package. The common error is "JAVA SocketException" - the client connects ok but the server does not. The COM seems to be ok but still checking.

I found strange listings in Registry Editor HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist. They are in the \REGISTRY\WC\Silo*** registries that I believe are the virtual registries for the MSIX package. A well functioning application will only have one registry *.dat entry for:

\Device\HarddiskVolume*\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\<packagename>\SystemAppData\Helium\UserClasses.dat and ...\User.dat

I get the JAVA SocketException error when the virtual registry also includes:

\Device\HarddiskVolume*\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\<packagename>\<CLSID?>SystemAppData\Helium\Cache\<cacheID>UserClasses.dat and ...\User.dat

Not sure why it is pulling the userclasses.dat and user.dat from a Cache? The caches are different for each package but seems to be causing the SocketException problems. The cache UserClass.dat and User.dat are in addition to the non-cache .dat files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Catalin

Re: AppxInstaller caches files from two MSIX packages

Hello Steve,

If possible, could you please share with us your packages and their AIP files by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Additionally, a test-case in order to reproduce this would also be really useful.

From what I understand, this only reproduces when both packages are installed on the same machine. Could you please confirm this?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”