pbnj

Installer as a wrapper to existing installer with parameters

Hi there,

New to advanced installer. I have an existing msi (or exe) install file and in order for this to be run correctly on a users machine it requires a couple command line parameters to be passed. I could send users the msi and then a bat or ps1 file and just ask them to run the script. However I want to simplify and reduce the chances of anything going wrong, the user running the wrong file etc. So I'd like to bundle them into a new installer (msi or exe) so I can send user a single file to run.

I reached out to support and they recommended adding my existing msi as a "prerequisite" with parameters however this creates a terrible user experience. They run it and are presented w/ a screen that says it's installing a prerequisite which is actually the application that this is supposed to install. It goes off and does that install and then runs a second installer, but that second installer doesn't actually do anything.

Any ideas on how to do this in a single process, or should I just ask for refund and send users msi w/ a script and hope they follow instructions and run the correct one?

Thanks in advance!
Liviu

Re: Installer as a wrapper to existing installer with parameters

Hello and welcome to our forums,

As I see, you have an ongoing conversation with my colleague Daniel on email.

Please continue the conversation there to avoid answering the same question twice by two different team members.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Building Installers”