MithatErsoy

Another version of this product is already installed

I am a new user who just started using Advanced installer. I have very simple question ( sorry if it has already been
answered on this forum before)

After having installed msi, I click on the same msi to see what sort of behaviour it shows. It comes up with
the following message:

Another version if this product is already installed

My question is can i change this behaviour so that when I execute the same msi, it re-installs the msi package.

I also passed the command line argument

msiexec /uninstall <msi-executable>

I expected the above to uninstall the program. Instead, it came up with the same error

Another version of this product is already installed.

Could you please clarify whether i have done something wrong during the generation of msi package?

Thanks for those who answers my query.
Cristi

Re: Another version of this product is already installed

Hi,

This error message occurs because you are trying to upgrade the installed package with a modified version that has the same ProductVersion and/or the same ProductCode. You'll have to uninstall the initial package before installing the second one.

Another option would be to use the automated upgrade feature.

Regards,
Cristi
MithatErsoy

Cristi, thanks for your reply.

It works the way you described. But, I hit another problem while following your advice.

I give you the following example to duplicate the senario

1. I have Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 installed on Windows XP client
Note: Installation of Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 is not based on msi. It used 'setup.exe', which was downloaded from Mozilla website.

2. I installed the newer version 2.0.0.17 of Thunderbird by using MSI generated by Advanced Installer. I deliberately set the installation path
to be the same as the one for 2.0.0.14. It did overwrite the files from 2.0.0.14. But, somehow, when you go to Add/Remove Programs, you will
see two programs :

Mozilla Thunderbird (2.0.0.14) (original one )
Mozilla Thunderbird (msi based)

My question is :how can I remove left-over program 'Mozilla Thunderbird (2.0.0.14)' from the client before I install the msi based Thunderbird.
Cosmin

Hi,

Please note that this feature works only for different versions of the same MSI product. I'm afraid that a repackaged MSI cannot upgrade the original package if its not MSI-based. Please note that the User Guide contains the Upgrade an older version of the package how-to which may help you.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
davidsmith

I am seeing the same problem with some of my computers when I do an uninstall from the command line. It is the same .msi file. If I do

msiexec /x "myfile.msi"

it works on my vms, but on my desktop computer I'm seeing

1) I first see a dialog box indicating that I want to do an uninstall. That is OK.

2) Next I see a dialog box that states "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot contiue. To configure..."

How can I fix (2)?
Cosmin

Hi,

This doesn't seem possible. This error message shouldn't be shown during an uninstall. Can you please test this on a clean machine? Also, what is the exact command line you are using?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”