Mike

Error 1638 "Another version of this product is already.

Subsequent .msi files created with Advanced Installer do not install over old ones. To reproduce:

1) Create an .msi file with Advanced Installer
2) Install the .msi file.
3) Remove the .msi file from the Advanced Installer project directory
4) Click on the Build button to create a new .msi file
5) Install the .msi file on the same PC

The result is that I get error 1638 "Another version of this product is already installed". I then have to remove the old one before installing the new one.

Mike Bresnahan
Cata

If you want the generated MSI package to automatically upgrade older versions of the product, you need to:

a) check the corresponding checkbox on the Install Parameters page
b) Allow Advanced Installer to generate a new Product Code when changing the Product Version.
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Mike

Ah ok. So each time I generate a .msi file for a new release, I need to change the Product Version. That makes sense.

Mike Bresnahan

How do I recreate an exact duplicate of an MSI file? For example, let's say I lost the MSI file for a particular release of my product. How do I create a new MSI file that will behave exactly the same as the previous one? I can't simply rebuild the MSI file because I am then confronted with error 1638 "Another version of this product is already installed".
Cata

You can't. Each MSI generated by Advanced Installer has a globally unique ID.

This is by design. The alternative (deciding when to generate a new GUID and when not to) is much more error prone and fragile.

In conlusion, you should never lose releases. Just like with your CVS tree, archive and save everyhing in redundant safe stores.

Regards,
Cata
Nate

Uninstall from Control Panel

I found this thread because I found myself in the same situation. Unable to upgrade, remove, or install because I lacked the msi file. I ended up having to edit the registry to remove it. Why does my application not show up in the Windows "Add/Remove Programs" utility on Control Panel? I looked for documentation on this and found nothing.

Also - the docs say to allow Advanced Installer to automatically generate the version number if I check "Automatically Upgrade Older Versions". Yet no mention is made of how to do this. Is "Product Code" the same as "Product Version"? You can't leave it blank, is there a magic value to cause AI to create a new product code?
Cata

Hi Nate,

You should be able to uninstall an installed program even if you lost the original MSI by going to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. If your program is NOT listed there, then that is a bug. Please send us a .aip that generates the problem.

The Product Code is different from the Product Version. Advanced Installer prompts you to generate a new Product Code every time the Product Version is changed. You can change the Product Version in the Product Details page.

Regards,
Cata
michaelmross

possible bug in automatic upgrade

Cata,
This is a heads up - I'm not certain about it, but I think you should know. There may be a problem with replacing the existing program when you increment the product code. I've found two situations - in both cases AI appears to have done a successful install. However, in one case (on XP), the old version of the app was not replaced. In the other case (2000), the new version was installed but the old one is left also.
I haven't done extensive testing so I can't be sure. In the meantime, I think it's wise to advise end-users always to uninstall first.
-Michael
Cata

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the heads up. I am not sure this relates with the previous poster's problem, but it must be investigated as well.

It would be very helpful if you could send us the .aip and the steps to reproduce the problem so we can start working on it and get it fixed. Best regards,

Cata
Cata

Michael, thanks for letting us know about this. We found the problem and solved it. The fix will be included in the next version. What happened was that the Version field of the File table was empty instead of storing the correct verision.

Cata
rileydog

Re: Error 1638 "Another version of this product is already.

hi Cata,
michaelmross wrote:This is a heads up - I'm not certain about it, but I think you should know. There may be a problem with replacing the existing program when you increment the product code. I've found two situations - in both cases AI appears to have done a successful install. However, in one case (on XP), the old version of the app was not replaced. In the other case (2000), the new version was installed but the old one is left also.
I haven't done extensive testing so I can't be sure. In the meantime, I think it's wise to advise end-users always to uninstall first.
I seem to have the same problem. I have version 7.1.3. has this problem been solved in this version?

thanks
Cosmin

Re: Error 1638 "Another version of this product is already.

Hi,

The problem to which you replied was solved a long time ago (the post is from January 2004). Can you please give me more details about the problem you are encountering?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”