mrichter

Another instance of setup is already running

Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:39 am

Hi,

One of my users has reported this error "Another instance of setup is already running" however they assure me that there is no other instance of setup running. They have tried rebooting and even redownloading the package but this message is alawys displayed. Any advice on how to get around this?

Thanks,
Mark

GabrielBarbu

Re: Another instance of setup is already running

Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:58 am

Hi Mark,

I am unsure as to why your users encounter this behavior. You could suggest they do the following:
- start the installer, and when they encounter the error, they should not close it. Leave the error on screen, go to Windows Task Manager and look for the setup process in the Processes tab. Sort the processes by "Image Name", and look in the sorted list. The process should have the name of their package file. There should only be one. Please send us a screenshot with the process list in Windows Task Manager.
- also, are they running the installer from a removable media? If so, what media?

Regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Stevo3000

Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:09 pm

I've seen this on a freshly re-started Windows 7 machine! Looks like a bug in Active Installer. I imagine that windows installer runs some checks at OS startup.

Bogdan

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi,

Was there any installation running on the Windows 7 machine before the restart occurred? If an installation was running Windows Installer probably tried to resume the installation
this generating the problem you have encountered.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Stevo3000

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:19 pm

Nothing running on the Windows 7 machine prior to the re-start! Had been idle for over an hour!

Bogdan

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi

Could you check the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
This key could contain references (in a registry value) to any other setup file that Windows Installer would run and therefore generate the problem you encounter.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Stevo3000

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:48 pm

Only thing in there is Microsoft Security essentials!

GabrielBarbu

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:58 am

Hello,

Please follow these steps:
- start the installer, and when you encounter the error, do not close it. Leave the error on screen, go to Windows Task Manager and look for the setup process in the Processes tab. Sort the processes by "Image Name", and look in the sorted list. The process should have the name of your package file. There should only be one. Please send a screenshot with the process list in Windows Task Manager to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can further investigate the issue.
- also, are you running the installer from a removable media? If so, what media?

Regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

ladams1221

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:35 pm

I had this same problem, running setup for my Logitech mouse on Windows 8, from a downloaded file. I opened Task Manager and MSetup was open as well as the Logitech installer. I closed MSetup, and clicked on the Setpoint installer again & it ran beautifully.

Return to “Common Problems”